• Help Support TNDeer:

WTM

blueball

Caught a limit of fish sat in 17-22fow,think i had 6-7 blacks.When i cleaned them all the blacks were colored up alittle and males.Wonder if they are getting there color from suspending up shallow in the deep water or have they made a run to the banks.I should have checked to see what they were eating ,but was in a hurry cleaning them.All the whites but one was a female,thanks

from the sound of it, the blacks you caught are in pre-spawn, feeding up and getting ready to move shallow. the thing about black crappie is once they move to shallow cover theyll stay there until mid to late summer. usually they wont move back out to deep structure like the whites post spawn. some are already on the spawn in Bass Bay.

the problem with blacks is to catch them consistently you really have to cast to them. they are probably more spooky than shellcracker. get too close and theyll move out. i guess maybe thats why more folks dont catch many of them.

Tennessee280 seems to have them figured out too.;)

from the sound of it, the blacks you caught are in pre-spawn, feeding up and getting ready to move shallow. the thing about black crappie is once they move to shallow cover theyll stay there until mid to late summer. usually they wont move back out to deep structure like the whites post spawn. some are already on the spawn in Bass Bay.

the problem with blacks is to catch them consistently you really have to cast to them. they are probably more spooky than shellcracker. get too close and theyll move out. i guess maybe thats why more folks dont catch many of them.

Tennessee280 seems to have them figured out too.;)
I never catch many blacks,if i do they are usually on stumps in bigsandy.Figured you would have an idea is why i asked.When tim broadbent was the twra fish bioligest he said there are more blacks south of the jville bridge,dont remember the exact number he said.

I never catch many blacks,if i do they are usually on stumps in bigsandy.Figured you would have an idea is why i asked.When tim broadbent was the twra fish bioligest he said there are more blacks south of the jville bridge,dont remember the exact number he said.
i would tend to disagree with Broadbent. with what ive caught i would say the majority lie from Harmons creek north on both sides of the lake. Bass Bay is chocked full of them. i would also guess that the mix is 50/50.

i do believe that eagle creek south (duck river) the blacks are more prevalent there now when the spotted bass are not in there. its a perfect place for them, clear water, plenty of rock and gravel, stumps and fallen tree logs.

I would have to agree with broadbent,i fish everywhere.From nov 1st till jan 4 i fished as far north as ginger bay and as far south as marsh creek and a bunch in between.I always catch more blacks south,may be just the way i fish,most of the time i verticle jigging.I do catch a bunch of blacks on bigsandy also though.Use to be in alittle crappie club and they had tourn. out of bigsandy,birdsong,mousetail and pickwick ,thats the reason i fish everywhere,learned alot fishing in that crappie club.

I would have to agree with broadbent,i fish everywhere.From nov 1st till jan 4 i fished as far north as ginger bay and as far south as marsh creek and a bunch in between.I always catch more blacks south,may be just the way i fish,most of the time i verticle jigging.I do catch a bunch of blacks on bigsandy also though.Use to be in alittle crappie club and they had tourn. out of bigsandy,birdsong,mousetail and pickwick ,thats the reason i fish everywhere,learned alot fishing in that crappie club.
probably, i pretty much quit vertical jigging in 2002 and picked up casting and long line jig pulling when i started back fishing in 2010.

i kinda treat crappie fishing now like i did when i fished bass. less boring and sitting in a seat kills my back, lol.

probably, i pretty much quit vertical jigging in 2002 and picked up casting and long line jig pulling when i started back fishing in 2010.

i kinda treat crappie fishing now like i did when i fished bass. less boring and sitting in a seat kills my back, lol.
I put my longline poles and a floater pole in the boat today.I should be ready till about the 3rd week of may.I have 3 jig poles one with a float,8 spiderrig poles and 8 longline poles in the boat,lol.3rd week of may or first of june its time for the crankbait pulling poles,i dont play around,ready for any situation,lol.
20210324-190104.jpg

lol same jig heads and color i use mostly. this time of year i cast the charlie brewer plastic like the one in the middle.

by the 3rd week in may im already on bkuegill and shellcracker.

this year ill be recovering from surgery looks like.

lol same jig heads and color i use mostly. this time of year i cast the charlie brewer plastic like the one in the middle.

by the 3rd week in may im already on bkuegill and shellcracker.

this year ill be recovering from surgery looks like.
You missing out on crappie if you quit fishing for the the 3rd week in may.Late may and june are 2 of the best months,stable weather patterns make it easier,that is if you find them.What surgery are you haveing done if you dont mind me asking.

You missing out on crappie if you quit fishing for the the 3rd week in may.Late may and june are 2 of the best months,stable weather patterns make it easier,that is if you find them.What surgery are you haveing done if you dont mind me asking.
yeah if the bluegill fishing isnt any better than the last two years ill go back to crappie full time. seems like bluegill are on the decline to me but gills and crackers are more funner to catch and better to eat.

i got a hernia back in february right above the dang a lang. doctor told me to take it easy or id be in emergency surgery, which he said probably wouldnt end well. i have a surgery consult may 5 and who knows when theyll operate. covid has everything back logged.

yeah if the bluegill fishing isnt any better than the last two years ill go back to crappie full time. seems like bluegill are on the decline to me but gills and crackers are more funner to catch and better to eat.

i got a hernia back in february right above the dang a lang. doctor told me to take it easy or id be in emergency surgery, which he said probably wouldnt end well. i have a surgery consult may 5 and who knows when theyll operate. covid has everything back logged.
Dang,prayers,yep covid has had everything backed up

Latest posts

Back