• Help Support TNDeer:

Yamaha 4 stroke

TRIGGER

I test drove a boat I'm thinking about buying today that has a Yamaha 4 stroke 225 on it. AMAZING a how quiet the motor is. Without seeing the pee steam and exhaust bubbling you wouldn't know its running. Anyone have any experience with these? Have heard good things and was impressed by how it runs.

The only thing I know is they are very quiet. We were fishing on the dock one evening and an older guy tied his boat off to the dock to go get his truck/trailer and I had no idea it was even running until he just jumped in backed the thing up. Very nice motor.

I can't speak to the 225, but I have been running Yamaha 4-strokes since 2006. With the exception of getting some dirty gas and clogging a fuel filter one time, I have never had a moment's problem. Turn they key, they start. End of story. :super:

Buy it. I had a 40 on a Jon boat with no issues, now have a 90 on the toon. They are just about bomb proof. Only motor I will have.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

What year F225? If it is an 06 or older, have the exhaust tube below the powerhead checked for corrosion - or pass on it. 07 & newer should be ok. Ask me how I know (6k repair bill).

Google "Yamaha F225 exhaust corrosion"

Gvit":2iqh14t1 said:
What year F225? If it is an 06 or older, have the exhaust tube below the powerhead checked for corrosion - or pass on it. 07 & newer should be ok. Ask me how I know (6k repair bill).

Google "Yamaha F225 exhaust corrosion"

This motor is an 07.

If it were me, I'd have it checked out my a Yamaha Mechanic (one that knows what to look for). It may cost $150 or so but if you're serious about the boat, it would be money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive learned to stay away from Yamahas in the boat rental business, toughness is not one of their strong points.. Last year at one of our places they had to replace 8 lower units, all of which were Yamaha.. Ive seen Mercs come back with literally all 3 blades half gone, half the skag missing, lower unit still kicking... If you even look at a rock, stump, etc. wrong in a Yamaha youre probably going to need to replace it!!

That being said most people love them and I never really hear bad things about them.. But from my experience what ive seen first hand, Merc hands down wins on a toughness standpoint..

I run my boat more in salt than fresh. Go to the coast and 90% of the engines are Yamahas in SC. IF that doesn't tell you something. BTW VOLVO's XC90 AWD SUV ran a Yamaha engine in them for years. Best dang outboard made IMO

7mm08":btarjvig said:
I run my boat more in salt than fresh. Go to the coast and 90% of the engines are Yamahas in SC. IF that doesn't tell you something. BTW VOLVO's XC90 AWD SUV ran a Yamaha engine in them for years. Best dang outboard made IMO

Where is SC do you fish? I lived in Hilton Head for the last 26 years, fished all over from Charleston to Savannah

Gvit":3598cvg0 said:
7mm08":3598cvg0 said:

Where is SC do you fish? I lived in Hilton Head for the last 26 years, fished all over from Charleston to Savannah
I know the Beaufort area like the back of my hand. I've been going down there now about 15 or so years.

Latest posts

Back