• Help Support TNDeer:

Youth Hunt Double

TN Larry

My son closed out what we thought was his last youth hunt in January with 5 does. However, when the youth WMA hunts came out for this year, there was one this weekend, and he doesn't turn 17 until Monday. The key was convincing little sister to choose this hunt with her 4 priority points so both could get drawn as he used his last year. Luckily for both of them, she agreed.

We've been there a few times with success and decided not to scout our main spot yesterday and just head there unless we found something else. We saw several deer and several fresh rubs in a good looking spot yesterday and decided to sit there today. It ended up being a good decision.

We saw a few deer at daylight, but they were buck hunting today. About an hour and a half after daylight, we saw a group of deer headed to us in the thick stuff. We were all sitting around a red oak tree, me looking left, my daughter in the middle, and my son looking right. They were on my son's side and as they got closer realized they were a bachelor group of 4 or 5 bucks with at least one good one in the group. They were milling around cautiously and hard to see in the thicker stuff and it being kind of dreary in the woods. They were working towards us with her being the shooter but turned and started angling away. I told him to shoot one if big enough for him to shoot and got a good shot . He was tracking the bigger buck at about 75 yards, trying to get him clear from the other deer, and in an opening. He finally got what he was looking for or he thought and shot. Deer went everywhere. One ran right to us and stopped in even thicker stuff. While we're trying to see what he does, we see a deer move right where the other deer had been. It couldn't figure out what just happened and cautiously started right to left towards a big opening as I was trying to get my daughter in position to shoot it. It stopped prior, and she was able to thread a shot dropping him in his tracks at about 75 yards. I asked my son what his deer did as I couldn't see it when he shot, and he said no idea as deer went everywhere but said he made a good shot. Her deer was moving a little so her and I got up to get closer to it. He hung back to send me to where his was standing to look for blood. As we were nearly to hers, I glanced to my right and saw his deer laying about 50 yds away.

What a blessing and what a morning to be a parent in the deer woods. They both killed last year out of the same blind on the same evening, but my daughter killed early and we left before he killed. The only bittersweet moment was walking up on his. He shot the wrong deer, lol. It was thick and dreary and hard to see. He must have lost it when they got together and picked up on the one he killed instead. Still an awesome morning on a couple of bonus bucks.

I haven't looked at the teeth yet, but both were aged at 2.5. Hers was a 7pt that weighed 103 and his was a 6pt that weighed 111.

Thank you Lord for an awesome hunt!!!

IMG_4314.webp

IMG_4308.webp

IMG_4305.webp

IMG_4323.webp

Latest posts

Back