• Help Support TNDeer:

“Lucky the dog” a family pronghorn hunt

AT Hiker

It's wild how things take a turn. Some times for the best and some times it feels like a wrong turn.
We made all kinds of turns last Saturday. Fortunately, one turn was the best for "lucky" and the other turn was best for my wife.

Since making the move to WY my wife and I had to "cash" in our preference points. As most know, I burned my elk points with BuzzardBreath and my wife, she cashed in her pronghorn points.

It's a good/great unit. Has the genetics for true trophy class critters but most importantly to her, it had a metric ton of public land with a large percentage of it holding these prairie lobsters.
Coming off the winter kill a couple winters back we knew the population and quality would be down. It's the cards we were dealt but during some scouting trips we found enough animals to hunt, definitely a bonus.

Saturday was our third day hunting. The two hunts prior produced a lot of stalks but one thing or another kept her from pulling the trigger. I'll explain my perspective, which is obviously not hers.
A.) She is a perfectionist. If things aren't 💯 she ain't doing it. Wind to gusty, animal to angled, etc. Not a bad trait but she didn't want to hear that it's ok if it's 90%, lung shots kill em too, you don't just have to shoot the heart!
B.) This perfectionism is great but in hunting, if you are not quick with it, you'll loose most opportunities. She had a solid 80" loper sub 100 yards one day but she kept micro adjusting the tri pod legs. I mentioned that was the one and only "give me" of the hunt, she didn't like the comment so needless to say we went home for the day🤷‍♂️

Back to Saturday. It was the start of my daughter's mini fall break. All three of us had a nice breakfast, loaded in the pick up and drove out.
She put on about 4-5 good stalks. The bucks in this portion of the unit were still rutting hard so getting under 300 yards and finding one to stand still long enough was next level.

With my daughter in the back asking "did you get your deer" each time we got back (on the ones she didn't go with us on) and forever asking "is it time to leave yet", we decided to head North into some new country.

20+ highway miles later we come to an intersection. I come to a stop and see a dog running across the highway to me. I tell my family to close their eyes, I just knew this pooch was about to get smashed. Luckily, she avoided near death. My wife tells my daughter to open up the door. As she does, this pooch with a chain hanging from her collar hops in.

It's like she belonged there. Barely able to catch a breath she lays down on my daughter's lap and we formulate a plan. We go to two separate ranches and ask about her. First one never seen her, second one claims a sheriff deputy picked her up a couple weeks back and brought her to the pound.
We pretend like we never met and I told the family "looks like we might have a new dog". The thought of this dog running wild in the middle of nowhere with a chain attached to her pissed me off and caught a soft spot in my heart. How well she took to my daughter topped it off. I told them we would take her home and figure it out later. Part of me wanted to keep her but deep down I knew we had to do something.

My daughter with the pooch. This was not much more than a couple hours after finding her. The herding dog wasn't about to leave her new cowgirl.
IMG_6644.webp

We spent a lot of time over the summer shooting. My local buddy let me borrow his 6.5, my wife shot it ok but wasn't consistent with it.

My daughter really loved shooting the 10/22. Since my wife hadn't shot in forever, I figured as much range time as she could squeeze in the better. The .22 was a no brainer just for range time.
IMG_6690.webp

I dug out my old Savage 110 .243, topped it with an older Leupold VX3, MDT bi pod and a cushioned butt pad.
She shot it really well.
IMG_6371.webp

We are even messing around with some reloads. I haven't gotten to spend much range time with it but this gun seems to shoot whatever you give it pretty well.
IMG_6391.webp

I'll get back to the hunt asap.

So off we went.
Pulled off the highway, then onto a two track then deeper back into the unit.
I was studying the map trying to figure out how to navigate the two tracks back down to where we were originally hunting. I figured it was about 20 miles of rough two track through good pronghorn country. I just wasn't sure which tracks to take.

So I just picked one….

Few miles down, we spot a herd of antelope in the distance. I drive up to the top of the ridge and down into a dip. Should give us a good chance to get out of the pickup, stay low and try to close the range.

My daughter decides to stay behind in the pickup with the new pup.

As we start making our play we see the herd running past us, kicking up dust. Dang it! Wait, there is no buck with them. I tell my wife to get set up because if there is a buck with them he ain't letting them get away. As she is getting set up I see the buck. So does she and she says "he doesn't look that big" and I ask her "since when did you become picky". We laugh and she just says "I'm just saying…"

I still don't know if she was talking me or the antelope 🤦🏻‍♂️

Anyways, the buck swings our way a little more. I notice another doe behind him, he didn't care as much about the herd as he did about that doe. Lucky for us.

I ask my wife how she fells. She said she was feeling great and had a great hold on him. I range him at 238, tell my wife to hold midway between the brown and top of his back in line with the heart. He made a turn, walked off about 10 more yards and turned. The buck was standing perfectly broadside watching his doe.

Boom! It was a delayed response but the buck turned and gave a medium sprint over the rocky ridge and down out of sight. I couldn't tell if it was a hit or not. I asked her how it felt and she said it felt really solid. She thought she'd hit him but was expecting him to drop dead and not run, haha.

The buck was standing on this little rocky ridge. Hard to tell but a bowl is behind this, it's not until you get in this country do you realize how critters can just disappear.
IMG_6653.webp

We hurry up to the spot and as we get closer I tell her to get ready in case he was standing down in the bowl.

Nope, we got blood! Great blood actually and lots of it!

I follow the blood a little bit then look ahead and glass. Laying there dead in the sage was her first pronghorn!

We head back up to the truck to get my daughter and the dog, who we now call "Lucky".

My daughter following the blood trail.
IMG_6633.webp

Everyone's luck turned around that day. Lucky got a temporarily new family and didn't get smashed by a truck that day. My wife got her first pronghorn and an unexpectedly good one at that. Much bigger than we thought.

My daughter is the happiest of all. She doesn't "have to hunt all fall break now" and has Lucky.
IMG_0524.webp

The only unlucky person/thing of this whole trip is our lab Noble. Now he has to share.

After spending Sunday butchering the antelope we took the pups for a nice hike. They get a long pretty well. Noble only has one flesh wound…so far.
IMG_6656.webp

I called the local shelter today. I've been putting it off. I really want to keep this dog but I also know someone is missing her.
I just can't fathom chaining a dog up like this. She also shows signs of mistreatment. My wife swatted a fly in the kitchen and Lucky ran downstairs and hid.
Fingers crossed the so called "owners" don't come looking for her. Regardless, we got to share a little luck with each other.

Back to the loper. This thing surprised me!

The longest beam is only 13.5" but has pretty ivory tips. The mass and cutters are truly top notch.

This is the first one I've seen where his cutters curl in so much it hides the length. Which throw off the mass from field judging it.
IMG_6645.webp

The second quarter mass measurement is over 6", which is top notch for any loper.
IMG_6685.webp

Cutter length is impressive
IMG_6686.webp

75" loper is a good buck anywhere. But a 75" one with only 13.5/13" main beams is impressive, imo.

*im not much of a score person but pronghorn intrigue me. They all look good to me. Since width isn't taken into consideration it really complicates things, from a score standpoint. With this being a double digit unit I just wanted to try and turn up something a little better than average. Whether she killed a big one or not was irrelevant, I just wanted to see what all the hype was about.

Last edited:
Everyone's luck turned around that day. Lucky got a temporarily new family and didn't get smashed by a truck that day. My wife got her first pronghorn and an unexpectedly good one at that. Much bigger than we thought.

My daughter is the happiest of all. She doesn't "have to hunt all fall break now" and has Lucky.
View attachment 247683

The only unlucky person/thing of this whole trip is our lab Noble. Now he has to share.

After spending Sunday butchering the antelope we took the pups for a nice hike. They get a long pretty well. Noble only has one flesh wound…so far.
View attachment 247684

I called the local shelter today. I've been putting it off. I really want to keep this dog but I also know someone is missing her.
I just can't fathom chaining a dog up like this. She also shows signs of mistreatment. My wife swatted a fly in the kitchen and Lucky ran downstairs and hid.
Fingers crossed the so called "owners" don't come looking for her. Regardless, we got to share a little luck with each other.
Great story. Congrats. Thanks for sharing

We had a pretty cool back drop in this unit. Desert to the south and granite peaks to the North.
IMG_6652.webp

She made an absolutely perfect shot. 250 yards right in the heart. The 100 grain .243 did virtually no meat damage, the animal was dead on his feet and suffered not one bit. I guess my wife being a perfectionist paid off. In return I gutted the stinky critter and cave manned him back to the truck.
IMG_6649.webp

Latest posts

Back