150 gr. & Blamoooo

skynimrod

I keep telling my friend to not load his CVAopt with 150 grains of 777 pellets or other powders for that matter because of what Iv'e read from pirodex & other articles this is dangerous & a waste of powder
I'm I right? I just use 90 to 100 grains of loose powder just fine

Trapper John

Some muzzleloaders are rated for 150 grain loads. If it's rated for that it's not really dangerous, but it might be overkill.

I'm with you on this. I only shoot 80-90 grains of powder in my Black Diamond and it's rated for a full 150 grain charge. Why suffer the extra recoil when the deer die just the same?

CHRIS WILSON

"Magnum" charges are nothing new and th majority of muzzleloaders out now are designed to shoot 150 gr. pellet charges. What kind of accuracy they get from doing so is another story. Some rifles will shoot that charge well, some won't. I was reading through the manual that came with the Knight I purchases a couple of months ago and it says to not exceed 150 gr. of loose or pelletized powder. Currently, I'm loading a 110 gr. charge of loose 777 in that rifle. The bullet and powder combo shoot very well. I might tweek it a little, but might just leave well enough alone.

iowavf

I shoot 3 777 pellets in my 45 Encore with a 223 gr powerbelt. It's dead on @ 100 yards and drops about 2 in. @ 200 yards. With 2 777 pellets it's 1 in. low @ 100 yards and drops 5 1/2 in. @ 200 yards.

jakeway

DEER ASSASSIN said:
here is the deal
if it is rated for magnum loads
you can use
150 gns
of
pyrodex pellets 777 pellets or loose pyrodex...

I'm not so sure about that.

I'm holding the little directions sheet that came with the 777 pellets, and it says:

"CAUTION:Some rifle manufacturers may recommend the use of a number of Pellets in thier rifles which exceed Hodgdon"s "Maximum Load Warning". (Two pellets: 100 gr) Hodgdon specifically disclaims any and all liability arising out of the use of any data which exceeds Hodgdon's "Maximum Load Warning" and the user assumes all risk in doing so."

That might be just leagalese to put any lawsuits on the manufacturer's head rather than theirs.

Having said that, I notice a little flame coming from my muzzle with only two pellets, so I'm sure most of the third pellet will be wasted anyway. I'm going to try 120 gr loose next time out.