• Help Support TNDeer:

18hp Old 1965 Evinrude report

Big Ben

Got the electric start button wired in and starter works great. Mounted it thru the side by the tiller handle. You can see black push button in the picture. Did not want to start so pulled the plugs and squirted some gas in the holes and put plugs back in. Hit the starter and it fired up for a second so good thing was I got spark. Moved to fuel pump and removed outlet line, hit starter and no gas coming out. Did a little repair on pump and now it will shoot gas a foot out of the outlet side of the pump. Still didn't want to start so moved to carb. Gave it several shots of carb cleaner while hitting starter and it would fire and run as long as I kept carb cleaner spraying in. Just kept spraying and letting it run a minute or so until it smoothed out and ran fine. Only issue now is it started running a bit warm. I had read those old 2 stroke motors are not made to run slow, fast is better but I didn't want to burn it up right off the bat. In fact the water inlet is in a location where the prop helps push water into the intake tube. Waiting on water tube grommet that just came in to dealer today and change it and water pump impeller out. Drain and replace gear lube and try it in my barrel before taking it to the lake. Not bad deal, motor for free and I got under $150 invested in it so far for parts. Most expensive part was new fuel line and that was $36.

Back