• Help Support TNDeer:

1st year saddle review

Ladys man

So this is my first year in the saddle and have 8 sits, 4 bow, 4 muzzy.
Pros- 1. I like the visibility,2. it's pretty comfy once set up, feet start to hurt about hour 4 I have plantar fasciitis, 3. I like the idea of mobility.
Cons. 1. Hanging/take down of sticks kinda sucks, could just be me. I done the rope mod and not happy with it, next year I will go with and ams steel daisy chain due to ease of packing. 2. I haven't found a good way to steady myself with gun, unless using the tree but that's only limited shots. May go back the viper for gun. 3. It's really hard to take a leak from the saddle lol. 4. My bino harness keeps me from bear hugging the tree and gets in the way during climb up and down.

Question my accessory belt has small hooks not very good for shoulder straps on guns, better to change belt or straps?

Any comments on the above that may help with any of these?

Last edited:
Ascending and descending the tree: Have you looked at 2TC (2 tether climbing)? It looks strange at first but I found it to be my preferred method to climb and then repel from tree. Also feel it is a safer method due to being tied in all the way up. Climbing this way is a tad slower than other methods. This is my 3rd or 4th year climbing this way.

As far as hanging you weapon: You may want to consider using a Hero Clip on your accessory belt. They come in different sizes.
Good Luck

Regarding the sore feet - what kind of platform do you use? One with an angled front helps with this, as well as good boots with a steel shank.

The truckers hitch with an amsteel daisy chain is the way to go, in my opinion, when using multiple sticks. For the platform I like the trucker elite thing. I can't remember the exact name. It's amsteel with two prusiks (one may be a swabisch) and you loop through and put the one prusik on the button, pull back tight and put the end through the other prusik. It locks down super tight. I experimented with many different methods to attach my platform and this is the only one that came as close to being as tight as a cam strap. It's really rock solid and quick.

Con #2 i cant help with as i haven't tried gun hunting from the saddle. Only bow.

Con 3- yeah it can be difficult to do it and not pee all over your boots or leg lol. I started carrying a big wide mouth collapsible pee jug, not because I care about peeing near deer or scent, but because its easier to um, stick it in and do your business, then empty the jug after you're done.

Con 4 - i haven't had this issue mostly because my belly sticks out futher than my bino harness lol. What you could try is putting your harness in your pack or even just the binos while climbing up or down, then putting them on when you're at height.

BT

I read about all these different accessories to make a saddle more comfortable, easier to climb up and down, multiple ways to hang everything etc. and I have to think to myself……..why even invest in something that will cost a small fortune to figure out? It's trial by error. The one thing in common with all saddle hunters is mobility. Think I will stick with my climber. Yes, it may be a little heavier, but it works out of the box.

Latest posts

Back