• Help Support TNDeer:

#2 down!

Bone Collector

Went this morning and saw turkey at the the three places I stopped in at. I saw two big Toms in a field and tried to put he sneak on them and got busted :blush: . Went to my deer spot where I hadn't seen any turkey lately and when I pulled up to park (kinda residential area) two big birds in full strut where I normally park. I parked down the way and they let me walk into the woods without really paying any attention to me. I went down over the hill and set up, but alas i picked the wrong area out of the two I knew they would come through. I tried to call to them, but they just followed the hen they were with.

Thought I'd try to redeem myself tonight. Went to another spot i hunt regularly. Got up to the field to glass and I could see two hens and two toms on the field heading away. I circled around and actually had a Jake run right in front of me shot and missed, but i was over 300 yds away from the others so they had no idea of what was going on. worked up to the field and realized i walked up on the two hens but they weren't paying attention so I slipped away and worked down the river bank and swung in to the end of the field. I worked up to the field edge and stopped about 15 yds in side the woods. I looked down the little path i was on and caught movement. Sure enough It was one of the Toms. I was already kneeling and had the shotgun shouldered, so all I had to do was put a bead on him. I did and stopped him with a soft putt and gave him a headache. He hit the ground and did not get up. Redemption for this mornings debacles :grin: .

I ran out to get him and to my surprise there were three or four other toms and Jakes out there. The good thing going for me is the field is lined with cedars, but of course i could not see out to know all those birds were there.

He was not quite as big as my first. 8 1/2 beard and 7/8" spurs.

Mike.jpg

Latest posts

Back