• Help Support TNDeer:

Dunstan Chestnut Trees

Picked up more. I have got 920 stratifying and 130 sawtooth oak also stratifying.

Hopefully come spring. I'll have several. Goal is to plant about 50 and then try to sell the rest.

Edit to fix spelling issue.

Last edited:
Picked up more. I have not got 920 stratifying and 130 sawtooth oak also stratifying.

Hopefully come spring. I'll have several. Goal is to plant about 50 and then try to sell the rest.
Second sentence messed up. You saying you have 920 chestnuts and 130 sawtooth stratifying right now? If you do man that fridge is full. How are you stratifying your nuts? Containers and soil or baggies and soil or what?

Second sentence messed up. You saying you have 920 chestnuts and 130 sawtooth stratifying right now? If you do man that fridge is full. How are you stratifying your nuts? Containers and soil or baggies and soil or what?
Fixed it. Yes I have 920 stratifying along with 130 sawtooth.

I use one gallon baggies with a a layer of organic potting soil, nuts, peat moss(helps them breath, nuts, and another layer of soil. As I go i spray to dampen each layer just a bit.
The fridge is full….very full, wife pi$*ed but I finally got permission /told to get my own fridge for the building. Will be doing this soon. Will come in handy for deer meet and stratifying.

I usually have a very high percentage to take.

Fixed it. Yes I have 920 stratifying along with 130 sawtooth.

I use one gallon baggies with a a layer of organic potting soil, nuts, peat moss(helps them breath, nuts, and another layer of soil. As I go i spray to dampen each layer just a bit.
The fridge is full….very full, wife pi$*ed but I finally got permission /told to get my own fridge for the building. Will be doing this soon. Will come in handy for deer meet and stratifying.

I usually have a very high percentage to take.
Holy cow, good job. Thanks for the explanation. You'll have enough to keep yourself busy.

Holy cow, good job. Thanks for the explanation. You'll have enough to keep yourself busy.
Unfortunately yes lol.

The local farm store said they'd love to help me sell them. Plan is to sell some seedlings about 12-14 inches tall. What would be a good price ?
Then raise the rest until fall and sell some bigger ones.

Of course I plan on jelling a few of the chestnuts and sawtooth. But l will also sell several of the sawtooth seedlings.

Depending on how many take. I'd like to keep 50 of each to plant in the fall.

My ultimate goal is to pick up enough to sell nuts directly and seedlings.

I've for a rather steep hillside on one part of my farm I'm to plant back. It gets plenty of sun and water runoff. But one of these days i don't want my son on the hill Trying to bush hog it.

Also where we had a bad storm 2 years ago I lost a lot of timber. So I'm gonna plant some oaks in those areas. The deer love the new cover. But i thought I may as well plant some oaks back.

Unfortunately yes lol.

The local farm store said they'd love to help me sell them. Plan is to sell some seedlings about 12-14 inches tall. What would be a good price ?
Then raise the rest until fall and sell some bigger ones.

Of course I plan on jelling a few of the chestnuts and sawtooth. But l will also sell several of the sawtooth seedlings.

Depending on how many take. I'd like to keep 50 of each to plant in the fall.

My ultimate goal is to pick up enough to sell nuts directly and seedlings.

I've for a rather steep hillside on one part of my farm I'm to plant back. It gets plenty of sun and water runoff. But one of these days i don't want my son on the hill Trying to bush hog it.

Also where we had a bad storm 2 years ago I lost a lot of timber. So I'm gonna plant some oaks in those areas. The deer love the new cover. But i thought I may as well plant some oaks back.
Go look at Facebook marketplace. There are lots of people selling nuts and short spring seedlings. Packages of nuts as low as $5 and seedlings as low as $7. Saw short spring seedlings for $25. My one month old seedlings are 12" to 18" tall. Maybe my prices are two low. I'm selling 3' to 5' fall seedlings for $25. Chestnut Hill has fall bare root seedlings like 3' for $38 or $43.

Latest posts

Back