• Help Support TNDeer:

2 miles of game fence.

I don't understand the point of a high fence open at both ends. On the surface it sounds like he has the long sides up and possibly by law can't fence in free ranging deer and has to make several attempts to run them out of the enclosure before he can fence in the ends. Maybe you're going to have a deer farm or trophy high fence area next door?????

Mike Belt said:
I don't understand the point of a high fence open at both ends.
Me either, but this is the second instance of it I have heard of. The other was a farmer/outfitter in North Dakota that was running a trophy management operation with supplemental feeding etc, but his neighbors on one side were all brown and down family style hunting if you will. He told us he put a fence on that side of his property for a mile long to deter deer from traveling to his neighbors property without a lot of effort. He claimed it made a considerable difference in his young buck surviving to maturity. Now whether that is true or nor, I cannot say. Just passing this along exactly as it was told to me.

landman said:
huntintn said:
Hunter 257W said:
I'm just curious how much a mile of such a fence would cost??
Said the 2 miles was costing him 15,000.

Sounds Way low
I know a 1,500 acre tract that it cost $250,000
for line clearing and high fence

Well, if you look at how long a fence would have to be to go around 1,500 acres plus the cost of clearing that much ground I don't think these two prices are that different. Consider this: 1,500 acres is 2.34 square miles so the perimeter of that property would require 9.5 miles of fence. Take the $15,000/mile cost and multiply that times 9.5 and you've got $142,500 for just the fence. And that assumes the 1,500 acre property is square which it almost for sure isn't and as the shape deviates from a square the fence is going to get even longer. If the 1,500 acres required bulldozer work to clear 9.5 miles, that is going to cost a lot of money too. So this one mile of straight line fence may be consistent with the $250,000 fence after all.

I had no idea whatsoever about the costs is why I asked in the first place. Are these chain link fences with the V shaped barbed wire holders on top of the posts? I would assume that's what we are talking about here?

I figure the reason it is only going to be partially fenced is because there is a neighbor with a shooting house and long shooting lane down the boundary on one side while the opposite side borders a federal park with no hunting. Assuming this is the correct farm in question. And as far as clearing costs for the fence, it would be minimal since there is a road around or very near much of the boundary.

Hunter 257W said:
landman said:
huntintn said:
Hunter 257W said:
I'm just curious how much a mile of such a fence would cost??
Said the 2 miles was costing him 15,000.

Sounds Way low
I know a 1,500 acre tract that it cost $250,000
for line clearing and high fence

Well, if you look at how long a fence would have to be to go around 1,500 acres plus the cost of clearing that much ground I don't think these two prices are that different. Consider this: 1,500 acres is 2.34 square miles so the perimeter of that property would require 9.5 miles of fence. Take the $15,000/mile cost and multiply that times 9.5 and you've got $142,500 for just the fence. And that assumes the 1,500 acre property is square which it almost for sure isn't and as the shape deviates from a square the fence is going to get even longer. If the 1,500 acres required bulldozer work to clear 9.5 miles, that is going to cost a lot of money too. So this one mile of straight line fence may be consistent with the $250,000 fence after all.

I had no idea whatsoever about the costs is why I asked in the first place. Are these chain link fences with the V shaped barbed wire holders on top of the posts? I would assume that's what we are talking about here?

Most high fence are not chain link, not much more the cattle standard woven wire fence, some time they even use it and make 2 runs, and when a dozier is cleans straight lines usually cost is much lower. You many times factor that timber is cut so they is an open space to drive a check fencing which can give return back. You also have to figure that a tract that large which this on e did have road frontage, sometimes alot which cuts down on clearing. Either way its a costly thing to do and many times
they have there own equipment as in this case. The real kicker is this owner was NOT a deer hunter, but a quail hunter who got tried of seeing 4wheeler, truck tracts, gut piles, etc were trespassers were showing up on his land

Okay, Hillis is from Arkansas, playing for Chiefs, 3 mil a year. He can afford whatever the price tag says. I wonder if he will let me hunt on it?

Latest posts

Back