• Help Support TNDeer:

.223 for deer in Tn?

Looks like a big hole to me. Never said it wouldn't kill a deer. I can see in the pic that is a perfect heart shot. In thick woods how many times do you have a perfect heart shot hardly ever. Most of the time you have to shoot through the brush trying to at least catch a double lung. And I do not trust a 223 to do that. That's the point I was making. In the right area to hunt a 223 would probably be fine. Not in the terrain I hunt. Of course in general a 223 deer round will be fine. Depending on your situation.
You gotta put it where it counts no matter what you're shooting.

I learned a long time ago speed kills, but when the velocity drops off at some range you won't have the insurance of large holes, I have always drove my muzzleloaders fast and most have been bang flops except with hard bullets, same goes with my 243 , the harder bullets don't create the destruction I like and most always make 2 holes, I consider that lost energy that I prefer to get dumped into the animal. A bullet isn't like a broadhead and a pass through is preferred. pouring the heart and lungs out when you open them up means they didn't travel much after the bang. More ways than 1 to kill a deer and pick a direction to go and perfect it for your own satisfaction. in the end you are the only 1 you need to impress.

Latest posts

Back