• Help Support TNDeer:

45-70 Handi Rifle loads?

Wiley

Below is a post that I made in 2011 regarding 45-70 loads that I developed for a 200 yard shot. Since that was 13 years ago, I'm now reaching out to see if anybody has a milder pet load to share.

I'm not in Tn but I have a NEF Handi Rifle in 45-70 that I load for. Last year I wanted to come up with a hot 250yd load but keep it safe. I ended up with 59.5gr of Varget under a 300gr JHP seated at normal COAL of 2.530. Thru the chrony they averaged 2300fps ten feet from the muzzle. At 200yds I had 1.5" five shot group with 4 holes touching and 1 flyer. Sighted in at 200 it was almost 4" high at 100 and 2" low at 250.

This load will rock your world when you pull the trigger. Max load of Varget for that bullet weight is 61gr. I loaded some with 60gr but never went higher. I only shot 1 deer with this load and that was thru the neck at 50 feet so I don't have bullet performance data at the long range and high velocity that I loaded for.

51gr Reloder 7 with 300 to 325gr bullet.

The Barnes 300gr TTSX for the SOCOM round is bad medicine in a 45-70 but can't be used in a lever gun.

For mild loads in 45/70 I liked a 300-400gr cast booklet with 10-12gr Unique (mouse fart… but still stronger than 45 LC or 44 mag from a handgun), or around 28gr of 2400 (midrange, trapdoor level load) if I recall correctly

I should have mentioned that I'd like to use 300gr JHP bullets and powder that I have on hand, Varget, IMR 3031, IMR 4895 and WC 844(H335). Looking at my manuals it appears that 3031 and 4895 are the most widely used. More research needed.......

The Barnes 300gr TTSX for the SOCOM round is bad medicine in a 45-70 but can't be used in a lever gun.

I have been thinking about using them Barnes TTSX in a single shot CVA I have. You might have just pushed me over the edge lol

I should have mentioned that I'd like to use 300gr JHP bullets and powder that I have on hand, Varget, IMR 3031, IMR 4895 and WC 844(H335). Looking at my manuals it appears that 3031 and 4895 are the most widely used. More research needed.......
They will do. I'd be hesitant to download H335 or Varget too far, but 4895 responds well to that. I've heard that 3031 would work well for that midrange that you are looking for, as well. Sounds like you need to burn some powder and have some fun

It most certainly can be used in a lever action rifle. Load it into the chamber and then load the magazine with flat nose or round nose bullets.

It most certainly can be used in a lever action rifle. Load it into the chamber and then load the magazine with flat nose or round nose bullets.
Just be careful with seating depth. That's a long bullet and even compressed, the coal is longer than any lever ammo. If you get it in the chamber, the bolt may not move rearward far enough to eject it if it is unfired. That's why the leverevolution ammo from hornady uses a shortened case because the ftx bullet is so long.

Thanks for all the replies! The thing that spurred me into this sudden desire to load some 45-70 was finding the 100 new Starline brass that I had not seen in a couple of years and another 80 pieces of once fired that I bought. Somewhere I have a bag of 405gr lead cast bolts that I haven't been able to find for about 5 years. But, I have fifty 300gr JHP bullets that I'll load a few of for checking accuracy with some IMR 3031 since I have an unopened 8 pound jug that I bought about 10 years ago. Gonna find that mild but effective load since I no longer have any tolerance for big time recoil in any weapon.

Latest posts

Back