• Help Support TNDeer:

acorn drop timing

Very few acorns of any variety in the Stewart and Trigg county farms I work. Low percentage of them viable.
Basically, what I'm seeing Popcorn. I'm just praying some of the Reds/Blacks are still holding on to their viable acorns and they will trickle out of the trees over the next month or so.

We've got virtually nothing in westcentral TN.

It's hit or miss here in Coffee Co. A couple woodlots have some good drop, not great, but others have almost nothing at all. My place in southern Ohio is a complete wash. Very few reds & blacks, almost no whites, and underdeveloped chestnut. Woody browse will be the ticket this season I'm thinking.

Basically, what I'm seeing Popcorn. I'm just praying some of the Reds/Blacks are still holding on to their viable acorns and they will trickle out of the trees over the next month or so.
Non existent mast crop, drought ruined food plots, native browse absent …
Gonna be rough overwinter in some areas. It would be a good year to thin them doe!

SW TN - over the last three weeks, I've found red and white oaks with viable acorns on the ground. First few pics are from September 28 (bow opener) in hill country, and last few pics are from this last week, more in bottomlands.

1.webp

2.webp

3.webp

6.webp

7.webp

8.webp

10.webp

Non existent mast crop, drought ruined food plots, native browse absent …
Gonna be rough overwinter in some areas. It would be a good year to thin them doe!
Something tells me whatever growth I get in my food plots (and they're doing OK so far, but a couple more weeks without rain and they'll be in trouble) is going to get mowed down pretty fast. One of the years where the plots are lip high all season.

Latest posts

Back