• Help Support TNDeer:

Affordable but decent fly rod combo

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
My buddy that I am going to the Caney with is wanting to buy a "good" flyrod combo but not spend an outrageous amount of money.

I would say $100.00 or less maybe?

Is there anything out there that would be worth having for this much?

I have an old walmart flyrod that I could put one of my good reels on to get him by but I honestly don't know enough about it to tell him what to buy.
I am lucky I got an awesome rig from scn for a good deal. :D

I got all three of mine from bass pro. The white river combo. It's the Dogwood Canyon 5wt. It's in 8'6" length or 9 foot. Either one is good. I have the 8' 6" length one. The 9 footer feels like a buggy whip to me. Just a little long for my taste. Comes with backing, weight forward line and leader. You'll need to add the tippet. They all have done me well. It's usually right at 100 bucks.

The White River combo mentioned above is about as good as you can do for $100. I prefer a 9', 4-piece, 5-weight for tailwaters. If I was just starting out again, this is the combo I would buy. Orvis, as a company, has always been good to me. It's a little higher in price, but should last a lifetime. I really like the Encounter reels.

http://www.orvis.com/p/encounter-5-weig ... utfit/8p43

Latest posts

Back