• Help Support TNDeer:

Age > Antler for true QDM

If you want more larger antlered bucks, the best way is to not kill any bucks before they are at least 4 1/2 years of age.

All antler point restrictions do is increase the survival of yearlings and low-scoring 2 1/2 & older bucks.
In some settings, this CAN do more good than harm.
In most situations, I believe it does far more harm than good.

Personally, I'm trying to only "target" bucks I believe to be 5 1/2 or older,
meaning a mistake is a 4 1/2.

But that's "my" personal criteria.
Not imposing that on you.
I also generally try to have a balanced sex harvest where I hunt,
as overall good herd health promotes better antler growth.

Six years ago when we moved from shooting 3-1/2 yr olds to 4-1/2+, we developed antler restrictions that have proven to work for us. Taking the averages of over 160 bucks we'd killed, we came up with numbers that represent what our average 4-1/2 yr old looks like.

A buck has to meet two out of four of the criteria to be club legal:
16" inside spread
19-1/2" main beam
4-1/2" base
170 lbs.

All teeth are sent off for cementum annuli testing and have proven to be spot on for our goals. Since implementing these requirements we also kill 5 & 6 yr old bucks every year. Average number of bucks killed each year is 14.

We've recorded data for 22 years now and had a lot of info to work with. Feel like this method helps hunters by giving them definitive visuals to judge by. We also have a program for youth hunters that allow them to be mentored for several years before they have to adhere to the 4+ restrictions:
First buck - any visible antler
Second - 6 pt
Third - 8 pt
Fourth & fifth:
12" inside spread
16" beam
3-1/2" base
145 lbs.

Youth are allowed to kill one buck a year, so they are mentored for 5 years before hitting the 4+ program. My 12 year old grandson is on the 4+ this fall and he can judge a buck on the hoof as good as I can.

All hunters must kill a doe for every buck killed as well.

Six years ago when we moved from shooting 3-1/2 yr olds to 4-1/2+, we developed antler restrictions that have proven to work for us. Taking the averages of over 160 bucks we'd killed, we came up with numbers that represent what our average 4-1/2 yr old looks like.

A buck has to meet two out of four of the criteria to be club legal:
16" inside spread
19-1/2" main beam
4-1/2" base
170 lbs.

All teeth are sent off for cementum annuli testing and have proven to be spot on for our goals. Since implementing these requirements we also kill 5 & 6 yr old bucks every year. Average number of bucks killed each year is 14.

We've recorded data for 22 years now and had a lot of info to work with. Feel like this method helps hunters by giving them definitive visuals to judge by. We also have a program for youth hunters that allow them to be mentored for several years before they have to adhere to the 4+ restrictions:
First buck - any visible antler
Second - 6 pt
Third - 8 pt
Fourth & fifth:
12" inside spread
16" beam
3-1/2" base
145 lbs.

Youth are allowed to kill one buck a year, so they are mentored for 5 years before hitting the 4+ program. My 12 year old grandson is on the 4+ this fall and he can judge a buck on the hoof as good as I can.

All hunters must kill a doe for every buck killed as well.
Sounds like a great program!!

I try to hold out for 4.5 or older. Passed some really nice 2.5's the past several years, but no sign of them in the following year.
As a public land only hunter I can only dream of being able to pass "really nice 2.5's". I've never been an antler hunter. Just lookin' for meat for the freezer. Whether or not a buck on public gets a pass is dependent on how many does I have harvested and how much meat is in the freezer.

That being said, I have 3 quota hunts this year with antler restrictions, so I won't be as apt to pop that spike until those 3 hunts are over, depending on whether I can tag 2 nice ones on my quota hunts.

Latest posts

Back