Agelessone is gone...

CliffordN

Guys, I'm not sure if y'all saw this. And I was in the middle of getting ready to move, and not posting much at the time. My good friend and Nashville fishing guide, Merv Johnson (Agelessone here) drowned in a freak accident on Old Hickory on May 15th. He had launched his boat, and it started getting away from him. He swam out to get it, and went under never to resurface.
Merv was very outgoing, and in great shape for someone his age, so this was hard to comprehend. I strongly suspect he had a heart attack, but that was not confirmed.
We had spent many hours on Percy Priest, either in his boat, or when we would meet up on fishing trips. Our phone conversations were numerous, and always entertaining. And he had just finished welding some guides on my boat trailer a few days before.
Merv was the kind of guy who would go out of his way to help folks. Once, after meeting "two elderly gentlemen" (his words) out on the lake, who had told him they may not make it home because the bearings on their boat trailer might be going out, he fixed them while they were still fishing. You won't meet many like that!
Merv left behind a wonderful wife, an older son, and a teenage daughter.
The Percy Priest Hybrid and Striper Club is short one member, the lake is down one guide, and a bunch of us lost a very dear friend!

Last edited:

Carlos

That's such an awful thing to happen, prayers sent for the friends and family.

redblood

I sure hate that we lost him. I enjoyed his fishing reports even though i never fished the same lakes or fished for the kind of fish he chased. Just a reminder of how quick a trip can change.

On a related note, i have an ulterra that self deploys. I cant tell u how many times i have cussed that motor, but in a moment like that it would be a life saver since i keep the remote around my neck at all times on fishing days

CliffordN

I sure hate that we lost him. I enjoyed his fishing reports even though i never fished the same lakes or fished for the kind of fish he chased. Just a reminder of how quick a trip can change.

On a related note, i have an ulterra that self deploys. I cant tell u how many times i have cussed that motor, but in a moment like that it would be a life saver since i keep the remote around my neck at all times on fishing days
Merv had two boats. One had an Ulterra, the bigger one which he was in that day had a Terrova. He had swum out to get the boat on other occasions, so this seemed routine I'm sure. The boat had been on the bank while he went to park the truck, and the wind must have pushed it free. He was in a spot where the current was not a factor. The water was reasonably warm and he took the time to take off his boots and socks and shed his jacket, handgun and cellphone before he entered. There was a fellow on the bank who was watching him, and he said there was no sign of a problem before he went under.

redblood

Merv had two boats. One had an Ulterra, the bigger one which he was in that day had a Terrova. He had swum out to get the boat on other occasions, so this seemed routine I'm sure. The boat had been on the bank while he went to park the truck, and the wind must have pushed it free. He was in a spot where the current was not a factor. The water was reasonably warm and he took the time to take off his boots and socks and shed his jacket, handgun and cellphone before he entered. There was a fellow on the bank who was watching him, and he said there was no sign of a problem before he went under.
Thats tough. Could have been a heart attack, stroke, aneurysm, seizure or even just a bad cramp- only the Good Lord will ever know

killingtime 41

terrible situation prayers for his family. Over the years I've read countless stories mostly in N East TN lakes close to where I live. Of people either jumping off the boat and not ever resurfacing. Or people just swimming and went under never to resurface. Things happen I understand but just strange as many as I've read about happening exactly the same way.

Headhunter

Never met him. He asked me several questions about hybrids on another forum. He was very nice and thanked me for the information, and then said he didn't think midnight to daylight fishing was for him. All I have read he was really good as a guide and a great guy. Been in prayers since I heard about it.

Don't think about it often, well I have a lot more lately, but no one is even promised the next minute. My dad was 90 when he passed back in April and he lived a full and great life and I miss him more and more every day. Life is for sure to short not to try and enjoy it.

Urban_Hunter

First time I talked to Merv was on the old fishingtn website/forum. I asked about crappie and he pm'd me saying he'd take me on his boat if I'd split the gas with him, but that he didn't know how to catch them either 😁. I didn't immediately respond and he messaged me again saying I didn't have to split the gas, just come fishing with him lol. Only made it out with him one time, but over the top generous guy.