• Help Support TNDeer:

another cold water shock victim

WTM

be careful out there guys.

Terrible tragedy. Should have put on a life jacket or waited on another boat to come.
Life jacket likely would have not saved him despite what we all think. In a cold water drowning your larynx ( windpipe) slams shut from the shock of the water and you basically suffocate. Pathologist see NO WATER in the lungs at autopsy.

Such a shame. Insure your boats, they are replaceable.!

Life jacket likely would have not saved him despite what we all think. In a cold water drowning your larynx ( windpipe) slams shut from the shock of the water and you basically suffocate. Pathologist see NO WATER in the lungs at autopsy.

Such a shame. Insure your boats, they are replaceable.!
Good information. Life jacket was probably in the boat anyway. I can't swim so I always get one out before I launch my boat.
Sad situation.

if you are prone to cold water shock, youre likely to go into cardiac arrest than drowning. that happens in a minute or less of entering the water. the blood vessels/arteries constrict in the extremities in order to save the organs. the heart tries to pump harder and you basically have a heart attack no matter your age.

this time of year is especially dangerous because folks think that because its 70 degrees air temp the water is also 70 degrees. my wifes cousin died in the middle of the summer when he drank and doused himself with 50 degree well water after getting hot.

this time of year youll never see me on the water without my gortex bibs, ice jacket and pfd on at all times. i even velcro the legs, wrist and waist to keep the water out if i go overboard. i figure this may give me a few minutes more to get out of the water.

Guess I'm just different. I tie a rope to the front of my boat, and tie it to the back of the trailer for launch. Then I pull the boat to the bank with the trailer when I pull up, and either tie off to something else, or pull the anchor up on the bank to hold it until I get the truck parked. So far I haven't had an issue. Not saying I won't, but so far it has worked well.

It amazes me more people don't die from this foolishness:

It amazes me more people don't die from this foolishness:

Maybe they stand around getting cooled off before they jump in???

Yeah, I had a nephrologist tell me that he had a patient that did this one time that put his kidneys in renal failure ….. recovered but scary. It was due to a rare condition known as rhabdomyolysis. Acute muscle damage that in turns hurts your kidneys.

We were talking about because my German Shorthair went into it while I was hunting her one day in 17 degree weather. She came by me , squatted and pee'd. Her urine looked like dark tea/ blood and I knew something was wrong. Quit, took her straight to the vet and they gave her a ton of sub q saline under her skin. She looked like a camel. Recovered but it was scary. I never Hunter her again I'm really cold weather, and I got a neoprene vest to help keep her warm.

Rhabdomyolysis is a serious syndrome due to a direct or indirect muscle injury. It results from the death of muscle fibers and release of their contents into the bloodstream. This can lead to serious complications such as renal (kidney) failure. This means the kidneys cannot clear the toxins .

The cold water can also be an issue during the summertime on cold rivers such as the Clinch in the first many miles below Norris Dam.
The first time I got in the Clinch I was NOT expecting it to be that cold when it was burning hot outside. I was just standing knee deep at the ramp at Miller's Island to get the boat in and I swear I couldn't feel my feet within a couple of minutes.

I know you were talking about your dog, but this has me thinking.
Might be a great idea for us humans to wear a neoprene vest as well,
when fishing in cold weather or on cold rivers?

this is what i use most of the time. i velcro the sleeves and the waist to keep the water out. it acts as a float jacket as well. kind of expensive but worth it.

I know you were talking about your dog, but this has me thinking.
Might be a great idea for us humans to wear a neoprene vest as well,
when fishing in cold weather or on cold rivers?

Might pick up a cheap pair of neoprene waders for days I'm hunting the river.

That looks great for really cold weather, but I was thinking more in terms of just cold water.

Might pick up a cheap pair of neoprene waders for days I'm hunting the river.

They would definitely be better than other fabrics, but once they fill with water, a bit awkward.

I'm thinking more in terms of some kind of neoprene suit, like a scuba suit.

A neoprene vest just "sounds" like it might buy you some time if you were suddenly in icy water, yet not be so constricting you wouldn't wear it?

That looks great for really cold weather, but I was thinking more in terms of just cold water.

They would definitely be better than other fabrics, but once they fill with water, a bit awkward.

I'm thinking more in terms of some kind of neoprene suit, like a scuba suit.

A neoprene vest just "sounds" like it might buy you some time if you were suddenly in icy water, yet not be so constricting you wouldn't wear it?
I think you are onto something. I watched surfers at Folly Beach and the water temps had to be in the 50's. Not sure how thick you would need but it might save your life.

Latest posts

Back