• Help Support TNDeer:

Any body build their own rod

Brad_23

Just wondering if any one has made their own custom rod.. If so I'm thinking about trying one myself and looking for tips and pointers on what's the best rod blank brand to use and any other parts that would be best..

I do. You won't really save any money,but you'll be able to personally pick and choose what guides,handle, reel seat etc.. you want to use on it. Plus the satisfaction of catching something on a rod you built. Go to mudhole.com and look around, they've got everything you need. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll help in anyway that I can.

Thanks.. I have been looking their site over for the last couple days.. I see that there will be no money saving but I think it's something I would like to give a try..

I have built several both to sell and for my self and enjoy it. Like mentioned the ammount of customization you can do to a rod is unreal. Also agree on mudhole.com they even offer an inexpensive rod kit that would be good for a beginner to start with. I have built one for a crappie dock rod and its been good for 2 years. Fair warning once you start it can be addicting. I will be happy to help any way i can also.

I have built about 6-8 flyrods over the years. Now there is not enough difference in money to make it worthwhile AND if you break it, they send you a blank then you have to find guides that match because they (loomis) keep the broken piece.

ONE word to learn is SPLINE, no spine, SPLINE. FINDING this in a rod makes all the difference in how it cast.

Latest posts

Back