anyone bass fish in Florida much?

TNReb

A small group of us are looking at taking a trip to Florida early next year for a few days of bass fishing (hauling our boats - no guides).

I hear a lot of information about the grass disappearing in a lot of the Florida lakes recently. I was curious if anyone goes down there regularly and has any lakes they would suggest?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I've only fished once on the Harris Chain. Incredible amounts of hydrilla near islands. The game seemed to be gently finessing plastics through the grass for a fish to grab from below.

I've heard others find success when they pull heavy spinnerbaits (with yellow spoons, imitating native shiners) through/under lily pads.

Pilchard

How set are you on bass fishing? Look into the canal systems in Collier, Dade and Broward Counties. C-110 and Airport canals are two famous ones.

You will catch largemouth, peacocks, and other exotics as well as saltwater species like snook and tarpon.

If going strictly after bass in Jan/Feb, I don't think there is any water better than Okeechobee.

killingtime 41

Lake Okeechobee if your going to south Florida. Besides okeechobee south Florida is like going to a third world Guatemala. So I'd say St John's river or Lake Okeechobee or somewhere in North Florida. South Florida and North Florida should be 2 differently states in my opinion.

TNReb

Okeechobee is one of the ones that has lost a ton of grass. It's also huge and I'm afraid it'd be very hard to narrow down. Or... everyone would be stacked in the same area (like the last Elite Series).

Headwaters is on my list of ones to look at.. along with Orange Lake.

Grnwing

Okeechobee is huge but staying on the west side of the lake, Clewiston/ Moore Haven area, you'd be able to find fish just fine.

If you re afraid of South Florida, you could look at the other big lakes and chain of lakes like Kississimme, Toho, Istokpgo and don't overlook some of the smaller rivers like Withlacoochee and Hillsborough and Peace There are countless smaller lakes that also put out good numbers and size.

As far as tue grass, FWC waged a war on hydrilla a decade or 2 ago. Lake Walk in Water was a prime example. The lake was heavily covered in hydrilla and when they sprayed it, it "released" a lot of forage and produced a lot of trophy bass. I loved the hydrilla for duck hunting but it clog channels and make navigation difficult for outboards.

Does your group want to fish marsh or what I d call traditional lakes with boat docks and contours?

Excited for your group regardless where you go, it should be a great time!

mike243

I lived in Melbourne back in the mid 70's, I would hit the St Johns River, the intercoastal water way is close and offers some great saltwater fishing if the bass don't cooperate, not sure if 2 licenses would be needed these days or not.

mike52

If you go to the BIG O, use a 1/4 oz GOLD SPINNER BAIT WITH GOLD WILLOW LEAF BLADES. Get about 12 because the bass will bend them outa shape. Reason for gold is the main food for bass is the golden shinner. If you hit it right during the specks (crappie) run you can load up quick. One year 4 of us caught 100 in about 1 hour. The crappie that we catch around here and think is big, they throw back. If you want to go the live bait way there are bait shops that sell them. Last time I was there(about 5 years ago) the shiner were $15 a dozen. If you go the guide route they want you to have 10 doz minimum, this cost is on you plus the guide fees.

TNReb

One of the guys in our group last year said shiners were $20/dozen and they dropped $500 on them.

Nothing against it, but I don't have any interest in live bait.

Generally speaking the group just wants to fish shallow grass - pads, hydrilla, whatever. Not really interested in fishing contours and docks like we do everywhere else. Typical Florida power fishing - frogs, chatterbaits, swim jigs, creature baits in grass...

Latest posts