• Help Support TNDeer:

Anyone else buy sabots and bullets separately?

BigCityBubba

The price of shooting a muzzleloader keeps me from shooting a muzzleloader except to make sure mine is sighted in and during season. Its about $3 a shot if you buy the standard ML components from the store. I bought some mmp sabots and have been using some 350gr 458 cal hornady interlocks that I inherited. I have killed several deer with them but I am not sure I am getting optimal expansion. Not sure if I should increase my powder or buy some lighter bullets. They make a 300gr hollow point. Is anyone else doing this and if so, what are you using? I miss the days when you could get a pound of black powder for under $10 and a box of 100 round balls for $5 and shoot all day. Makes me feel old thinking about it.

A lot of folks want 2 holes, I prefer to leave all the energy in the deer, reckon they die either way seems quicker when the bullet disintegrates inside, pour the lungs and heart pieces out. I would increase powder until accuracy falls off. Sometimes a passthrough other times not. remember speed kills.

We shoot PRB, cast our own RB's, also have capacity to cast conical's, make our own percussion caps, had about 25LB of canon powder and ground it in to 2-3-4 fg.

I do not buy them separately but I use hornady .45 cal 240 grain xtp mags with black sabots over 115 grains triple 7 works very well from my accura. Great accuracy, good velocity, and does the job very well on deer.

I tried several bullets a few years back and settled on the Barnes spitfire 245 gr over 110 gr loose 777. Good accuracy out of my accura and work well on the killing end too. Never tried buying sabots separately.

Latest posts

Back