• Help Support TNDeer:

Anyone still trapping?

I have 3 dp's and 2 live traps out for almost two weeks and caught 2 groundhogs, 2 coons, 3 possums and two cats that i think a low life dumped out on us. Pretty slow here, very little on cell cams. The only big predator i have around right now are bobcats. Live traps are producing better than the dp's for me. I've been trying freeze dried meal worms and using some fruit mixed in with the other baits. Trying to catch this skunk but catching everything else instead.

Year around trapping was a great move for sure by the agency. It is really helpful to deal with the unwanted varmints around the house in summer.

I have 3 dp's and 2 live traps out for almost two weeks and caught 2 groundhogs, 2 coons, 3 possums and two cats that i think a low life dumped out on us. Pretty slow here, very little on cell cams. The only big predator i have around right now are bobcats. Live traps are producing better than the dp's for me. I've been trying freeze dried meal worms and using some fruit mixed in with the other baits. Trying to catch this skunk but catching everything else instead.

Year around trapping was a great move for sure by the agency. It is really helpful to deal with the unwanted varmints around the house in summer.
Try fried bacon in a live trap for catching skunk. I've had great success using it as a skunk bait.

Caught another coon, two possums and another cat. Caught the same red fox again in the same live trap. Turned him loose again.

Caught another coon, two possums and another cat. Caught the same red fox again in the same live trap. Turned him loose again.
For the bigger critters, do you use any kind of different bait in the summer time opposed to winter time? I know I can gain access to some TN properties to trap close to home so just kind of thinking ahead. The $200 oos trappers license is what's holding me up right now. I may cave and buy it for next year tho.

The first time i caught that fox it was on smoked chicken bones left over from some i smoked. The second time was on left over scrambled eggs and fried ham. Usually those live traps have left overs of some kind in them usually with a morsel or two of venison jerky or some other fridge meat that i quickly fry in a pan. I always leave a little under the trap door to get them comfortable.

If i was trapping yotes with leg holds i would have some of the mouse meat baits in dirt holes for sure.

I put a line of dog proofs and live traps out last week and i've caught a truck load of possums, coons and skunks. They must be at peak population right now. I have corn down everywhere where they have been climbing the stalks and pulling it over to eat.

We started trapping again about 5 nights ago. There's not been any activity yet, the bait has been left alone.
I guess we lowered the local population of coons quite a bit.
If I recall correctly, we got rid of around 15 during the month of June.

We started trapping again about 5 nights ago. There's not been any activity yet, the bait has been left alone.
I guess we lowered the local population of coons quite a bit.
If I recall correctly, we got rid of around 15 during the month of June.
Do you eat the coon or what do you do with them? I know the hides are nice and I hear the meat isn't that bad ground up in like chilli? They can't taste that bad right? Free protein!

This is a first for me. Smoked pork and deer jerky.
1000000127.webp

Do you eat the coon or what do you do with them? I know the hides are nice and I hear the meat isn't that bad ground up in like chilli? They can't taste that bad right? Free protein!
It's not my preferred operation, but I've just been eliminating these for the sake of the Turkeys.
I saved the tails, didn't do anything with the rest.

We actually just had no activity for the last 10 consecutive nights, so we pulled the traps for a little while.

Latest posts

Back