• Help Support TNDeer:

automatic/manual inflatable life vest

Big Ben

Anyone have one of these ? They look more comfortable than just a standard vest. Looking at picking one or two up but have a question.
How much wet does it take to set one of these off automatic ? Will just a hard rain while wearing it cause it to inflate ? Sure don't want to drop $100 or more on one to just have to rearm it regular at $22 a pop.

They are good for hot days when you don't want a regular life jacket on plus they are not in the way.

The bad:
The self inflatable ones will deploy in the rain. (Wife was wearing one as we raced back to the dock in light rain. Funny sight)
They will deploy in your boat storage boxes if exposed to really hot days, then put in the garage. (happened several times with mine.)

I stopped using them after 6 recharges. I bought a belt version you pull a rip cord on. (rsimms got me hooked on them) They are legal and very comfortable. I wear the normal vest when running and just wear the belt while stopped fishing.

So, on the manual PFD's you have to pull a cord to inflate them?
What if you get knocked out before you hit the water?

i use a manual belt when fishing and full jacket when running and in the winter. get one of the jackets that will hold your head up and back in case you get knocked out. a pfd does no good if you get knocked out and doesnt turn your head out of the water.

Hydrostatic PDFs will not deploy in the rain but are more expensive to buy and rearm. Water pressure activates them.

Yea, what Kirk said above. I prefer the manual "rip cord style" belts. You literally forget you have them on. I usually have to remind clients to take them off when they leave.

Granted, they are not as safe as the automatic, over-the-shoulder style. They won't help you in an impact accident if you get knocked out. However I personally feel safer with them because I will wear it ALL THE TIME, when running or stopped, and even when it is hot as blue blazes out. If you're in my boat, you wear one all the time, no questions asked.

As Kirk mentioned, I have friends who have had the automatic ones inflate at inopportune times. However they are nice, and very safe.

Your choice,

I talked to a warden and he let me know the belt pull cord deal was not legal with 500' of a dam or hazardous water where signs are posted, otherwise good to do in any other conditions.

Biggun4214":skrx81yq said:
Hydrostatic PDFs will not deploy in the rain but are more expensive to buy and rearm. Water pressure activates them.

This!!!! After I had to re-charge the other style twice I was done with them. I went with the hydrostatic version with no issues at all. I used to hate wearing a life jacket but these self inflate models make it easy and comfortable.

imograss":884ymhz5 said:
I talked to a warden and he let me know the belt pull cord deal was not legal with 500' of a dam or hazardous water where signs are posted, otherwise good to do in any other conditions.

I've been checked below dams multiple times by GW's while wearing belt-style PFD's. Never any issues mentioned. To my knowledge any USCG-approved PFD fulfills the obligation below Dams. See Page 28 of the TWRA Boating Guide: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/ ... ndbook.pdf Type V's (inflatable, pull cord CO2 belts) are fine.

Auto/manual vest of any system must be worn at all times while in boat to be considered legal life vest, or must have onboard regular traditional vest for everyone in boat to be legal when auto vest not being worn at all times. Was told by TWRA region 3 office on this matter I ran into with.

Hmm. I doan think we see 7mm08 wearing one so very soon. Me either.

I have seen rough seas and poor boat handling result in folks overboard, broken arms and goose eggs. Kinda got some confidence the old fashioned one that holds your head up out the water may be old but still has great value.

BOZ":33j9kizd said:
Auto/manual vest of any system must be worn at all times while in boat to be considered legal life vest, or must have onboard regular traditional vest for everyone in boat to be legal when auto vest not being worn at all times. Was told by TWRA region 3 office on this matter I ran into with.

Correct! Type V's must be on your body to be considered a legal PFD.

Back