• Help Support TNDeer:

Bait on KY lake?

TRIGGER":h7ibagd6 said:
WTM":h7ibagd6 said:
looks like shad, BUT by the way things are going prolly asian carp fry.

That's what I'm afraid of. There not really in shad "balls" more like clouds and lots of them.

clouds is what i use to describe early shad balls on sonar. in the fall they tighten up. hopefully they are threadfin as most fish can eat them on into winter.

i think every fisherman needs a cast net nowadays if not only to verify if they are shad or carp, if they are shallow enough to net them.

how deep where those? morning or mid day? on a ledge or drop off at mid day?

That was in 18' +- 2 or 3 feet. 4:18pm. I saw small schools south of leatherwood but I only found these giant schools north of leatherwood. The yellow bellies were wearing them out.

I saw the same thing about two weekends ago. This was around New Johnsonville. They were stacked on a ledge for about 1oo yards. Thought I was getting interference on my transducer because they didn't look like bait balls. Then white bass started busting them. Pleasant surprise.

sounds like shad, but i dont know enough about carp fry to compare them or where they would be located at certain times of the day. cant really be for certain just because fish are feeding on them because white bass, yellows, large mouth, bluecats, gar, etc feed heavily on carp fry on the mississippi.

prolly need to pray those are shad because if theyre not, we are probably screwed. this spring and summer was when the 2015 carp where supposed to spawn and we had plenty of flooding and heavy current for it to happen.

WTM":8601rr51 said:
sounds like shad, but i dont know enough about carp fry to compare them or where they would be located at certain times of the day. cant really be for certain just because fish are feeding on them because white bass, yellows, large mouth, bluecats, gar, etc feed heavily on carp fry on the mississippi.

prolly need to pray those are shad because if theyre not, we are probably screwed. this spring and summer was when the 2015 carp where supposed to spawn and we had plenty of flooding and heavy current for it to happen.

Yeah they were releasing 200k at the dam for what seemed like a month after those rains in February and March. From what I understand, those could have been the right conditions for them to spawn again. Hopefully not.

Fished ky lake for the first time in 3 weeks.Saw some bait and fish busting the water,but nothing like i have been seeing at pickwick.Fish seem to be fattening up some too,the ones i caught looked better than some i caught this spring.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back