• Help Support TNDeer:

Bait recommendations

I would get a couple football head jigs, poppers and spinners for spring. Have had luck with frogs and buzzbaits also.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Lizzards, flukes, and other soft plastics in June bug, watermelon seed, pumpkin seed. There are many other great colors but as long as I have those three, I know I can catch fish if they are biting

I had luck last weekend on LBL using a Ned rig. Was tearing them up under the bridge by Paris Landing

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

If I could only fish 1 lure for the next year it would be a 7.5 inch Culprit red shad worm. Close second would be Zoom baby brush hog in green pumpkin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lots of good baits already mentioned but in early winter/late winter/early spring, youd better have an assortment of jerk baits and cranks(square bills and something similar to series 3,4 and 5) that will run from anywhere in 3ft to 10ft depths. also good to have some lipless cranks to pull through grass and they also work during the bluegill pattern.

shad or silver color on the jerkbaits and shad and especially crawfish on the cranks in the late winter/early spring.

a lot depends also on the lake you are fishing, ie has a lot of grass and natural cover or lots of hard structure and shellbeds. do some research for your lakes and see what works best for the seasonal patterns for your lake(s).

Spurhunter":1z04ej6e said:
If I could only fish 1 lure for the next year it would be a 7.5 inch Culprit red shad worm. Close second would be Zoom baby brush hog in green pumpkin.

Do you Texas rig then or what's your preferred method? I try fishing with soft baits but honestly can't remember doing any good with them still try everytime I'm out though

Kilby":2xiynth7 said:
Spurhunter":2xiynth7 said:

Do you Texas rig then or what's your preferred method? I try fishing with soft baits but honestly can't remember doing any good with them still try everytime I'm out though
Yes, I Texas rig those. I use a regular worm hook for the worm and a wide gap hook for the baby brush hog. Typically when I Carolina rig I use a lizard for what ever reason.

Ruger is right about the wacky rig. It is, perhaps, the most effective presentation for numbers to come along in years. Any stick bait will do. He uses a much larger hook than I do, though. I use the VMC Weedless Neko hook in 2/0.
636e22ab9b43839c4f97c7ea81aa9f53.jpg

Spurhunter":1v62ibsh said:
Kilby":1v62ibsh said:
Spurhunter":1v62ibsh said:

Yes, I Texas rig those. I use a regular worm hook for the worm and a wide gap hook for the baby brush hog. Typically when I Carolina rig I use a lizard for what ever reason.

Ruger is right about the wacky rig. It is, perhaps, the most effective presentation for numbers to come along in years. Any stick bait will do. He uses a much larger hook than I do, though. I use the VMC Weedless Neko hook in 2/0.
636e22ab9b43839c4f97c7ea81aa9f53.jpg

I have some 2/0 weed less and 1/0 wacky hooks for wacky rig that's the only way I've caught on soft plastic

It's easy to spend a lot of money on stuff you'll never use in fishing...or use more than a few casts. Everyone eventually finds a comfort goto bait or baits and tend to stick with those. My dad is an avid bass fishermen. I am not fond of bass fishing. It amazes me at the baits he has. He has a whole indoor garage where he can park his boat and truck...and the walls are literally filled from top to bottom of bass baits. Soft plastics in unopened packs, spinnerbaits hanging on hooks, cases upon cases of crankbaits and terminal tackle. I've been in fishing tackle stores that didn't have as much stuff as he has lol. But in his boat...his goto stuff is all that ever goes with him. Usually that's one rod with a white/chartreuse spinnerbait, one with a topwater frog, and one with a dropshot rig soft plastic bait. That's his confidence baits.

For me...for bass fishing I could do with 2 lure types. Give me a 1/2 oz lipless crankbait in a few colors, and a Senko type soft plastic. I would be good to go. Of course I suck at it but that's another topic.

Crow Terminator":21uh01tw said:
It's easy to spend a lot of money on stuff you'll never use in fishing...or use more than a few casts. Everyone eventually finds a comfort goto bait or baits and tend to stick with those. My dad is an avid bass fishermen. I am not fond of bass fishing. It amazes me at the baits he has. He has a whole indoor garage where he can park his boat and truck...and the walls are literally filled from top to bottom of bass baits. Soft plastics in unopened packs, spinnerbaits hanging on hooks, cases upon cases of crankbaits and terminal tackle. I've been in fishing tackle stores that didn't have as much stuff as he has lol. But in his boat...his goto stuff is all that ever goes with him. Usually that's one rod with a white/chartreuse spinnerbait, one with a topwater frog, and one with a dropshot rig soft plastic bait. That's his confidence baits.

For me...for bass fishing I could do with 2 lure types. Give me a 1/2 oz lipless crankbait in a few colors, and a Senko type soft plastic. I would be good to go. Of course I suck at it but that's another topic.

I'm trying to use as many types and styles of fishing instead of relying on just one for no other reason than to say I did it, I know a few guys as serious as your dad is and that's not for me

Latest posts

Back