• Help Support TNDeer:

Be careful on the water

TRIGGER

Got to the lake yesterday around mid day. I drove through a frog strangler on the way there but was not raining when I put the boat in. I idled out to my first spot knowing there was more rain coming but rain doesn't bother me. I threw out and let my swim bait hit the bottom then lifted my rod tip up to start reeling and I heard a buzzing sound. I dropped my rod tip back down and it quit,raised it back up and the higher I got it the louder it got. Then it felt like someone was tickling the back of my neck with a goose feather at the same time lighting struck somewhere close. I reeled in as fast as I could went back to the dock and walked into the store (Danville on Ky lake)and waited it out. That's a first for me and hope it's a last. Not many things spook me but that shore did.

Lightning has been crazy lately. I live in Overton county, just north of Cookeville. Last Friday morning on Mar 12th at 1:45 in the morning, lightning struck our house. I was sound asleep and I have never heard anything like it. Our propane tank is about 30 yards behind our house. I thought it exploded. We lost several electronics and it blew the floodlights OFF the house! The metal facing has several quarter size holes all around the house. We are really blessed that the house didn't burn. My wifes sister lives in Sparta and had a big tree to get hit that same morning. Split it top to bottom and blasted a big hole in the ground over one of its roots. Please everybody, like Trigger said, RESPECT this while out on the water. After seeing what it did to my house and that tree, I cringe to think what it would do to someone in a boat.

I was fishing with a friend on Douglas one afternoon and we were watching a storm go across English Mtn. about 5 miles away. We both cast about the same time, and watched our lines go about 20 feet straight up in the air and suspend. We decided pretty quick that holding onto a graphite lightening rod was not the best of ideas. The sun was shining where we were, but there sure was a bunch of static electricity building up. We motored away with fish biting.

i was south of the lake and was watching those clouds roll in, heard the loud thunder and was thinking hope nobody got hit and time to head to the house.

Lightning is only thing that will run me indoors. Had one hit close by years ago and burned the ball on top my ball cap and knocked me to my knees. Ever since then I've been especially watchful for lightning

I'm glad I read this and all the accompanying replies. Scary stuff. Thanks for sharing the good info guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Had several close calls and lightning is nothing to mess with!!! Twice while growing up we had several cows killed standing under a tree when it was hit.

Not the same, but anyone notice the thunder rolls this year? On several occasions I've heard it rolling for a solid minute.

Back