• Help Support TNDeer:

Be Careful Out There

Spurhunter

A guy I worked with for years until he retired in 2020 was killed yesterday. He was trolling for crappie on his pontoon yesterday morning when another boat traveling east hit him. Driver of the other boat was supposedly blinded by the sun. Obviously, it's stupid to be running on plane if you can't see where you are going, but that's what witnesses say happened. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that speed was a factor. You just never know when it's your time to go.

Sad. No matter how safe and careful you are you cannot control others. My dad, my son, and I also most got run over on Ky Lake as we were sitting still fishing a crappie mat. Boat was coming straight towards us with all 3 occupants turned around looking at something on the bank. Luckily the one in front happened to turn around just in time.

A guy I worked with for years until he retired in 2020 was killed yesterday. He was trolling for crappie on his pontoon yesterday morning when another boat traveling east hit him. Driver of the other boat was supposedly blinded by the sun. Obviously, it's stupid to be running on plane if you can't see where you are going, but that's what witnesses say happened. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that speed was a factor. You just never know when it's your time to go.
Sorry to hear. Which lake?

I was shocked to hear this about Terry. Didn't find out until yesterday at Roger's funeral. Crazy that they worked together for so many years and will be buried in the same week at the same funeral home.

Nice meeting you yesterday Spurhunter. Sorry I didn't talk longer, there was a lot of people there and seemed like every time I turned around people were wanting to talk to me.

We striper troll on Norris in the late summer and fall at night. I was on my Lund and our buddies were on a pontoon. At 9:45pm, we had just let out when I heard someone screaming behind me. I turned to watch a wake boat enter our friends pontoon from the rear right of the engine and exit the left front. We rushed over there and called 911. They were very lucky, in that no life threatening injuries were sustained. The below Pic was taken from my Lund bass boat. You can see pontoon furniture in the water, TWRA boat on the scene, and the wake boat on the other side with the pontoon Bimini top stretched across its light bar. This happened around 50' from the bank.

Change needs to happen. From the rear of any legally lit boat, all that is visible is the all round light. That's it. No other lights are allowed when moving at any speed. This is above TWRA, this change must come from the coastguard.

20210813_221803.webp

I was shocked to hear this about Terry. Didn't find out until yesterday at Roger's funeral. Crazy that they worked together for so many years and will be buried in the same week at the same funeral home.

Nice meeting you yesterday Spurhunter. Sorry I didn't talk longer, there was a lot of people there and seemed like every time I turned around people were wanting to talk to me.
Nice meeting you also. There was definitely a crowd to pay their respects. I didn't realize you also knew Terry, but I should've figured that. We've had 4 retired guys from my department pass in the last month or so. I was closest to Roger by far.

We striper troll on Norris in the late summer and fall at night. I was on my Lund and our buddies were on a pontoon. At 9:45pm, we had just let out when I heard someone screaming behind me. I turned to watch a wake boat enter our friends pontoon from the rear right of the engine and exit the left front. We rushed over there and called 911. They were very lucky, in that no life threatening injuries were sustained. The below Pic was taken from my Lund bass boat. You can see pontoon furniture in the water, TWRA boat on the scene, and the wake boat on the other side with the pontoon Bimini top stretched across its light bar. This happened around 50' from the bank.

Change needs to happen. From the rear of any legally lit boat, all that is visible is the all round light. That's it. No other lights are allowed when moving at any speed. This is above TWRA, this change must come from the coastguard.

View attachment 248269
That is incredible! Definitely lucky no one was seriously injured.

I wonder if it would be legal to add, in conjunction with the 360° solid white light, one of those flashing white lights like on a school bus top.
It cannot flash. Some say it's too bright but I built my own all round light, using led strip lights on baking pans mounted to a pole. See Pic. I haven't been hassled by TWRA so far in the 3 years I've been running it.

20210906_113814.webp

20210910_231133.webp

It cannot flash. Some say it's too bright but I built my own all round light, using led strip lights on baking pans mounted to a pole. See Pic. I haven't been hassled by TWRA so far in the 3 years I've been running it.

View attachment 248283
View attachment 248284
Nice light. I think that not having the additional flashing light sucks. Flashing lights catch more attention IMHO.

I have 2 boats and rarely go out after dark. To many fast moving boats. I've been chastised in the past for speaking out against high speed boating in the dark. But I still think those that do it are plain stupid and reckless.

Latest posts

Back