• Help Support TNDeer:

Bear question

lol

I'm taking my son to Fentress county and learned the property we're hunting has a population of bear, and that bear may be harvested during the juvenile hunt. As far as bears are concerned, I have no experience whatsoever. The property we'll be hunting is forested and rugged with a couple of food plots. I'd assume this time of year bear would be on acorns. What I don't know anything about is when bear are typically active, whether they prefer highground of bottoms, etc. Is water a factor? If anyone could give me a basic idea of what to look for, I'd appreciate it.

I'm not a bear hunter, but my land always seems to have a couple on it. What I see is they are opportunistic feeders, especially this time of year while preparing for winter. However, I've found no predictable pattern. Last Friday we saw this guy turning over rocks looking for whatever lives under rocks.
IMG_4513.webp
IMG_4512.webp

I'm not a bear hunter, but my land always seems to have a couple on it. What I see is they are opportunistic feeders, especially this time of year while preparing for winter. However, I've found no predictable pattern. Last Friday we saw this guy turning over rocks looking for whatever lives under rocks.View attachment 248753View attachment 248754
Also, this bear was about 15 yards from our cabin. When it started messing with my wife's pumpkin decorations, I opened the door and yelled. It ran away like a democrat who saw a gun ad.

I'm not a bear hunter, but my land always seems to have a couple on it. What I see is they are opportunistic feeders, especially this time of year while preparing for winter. However, I've found no predictable pattern. Last Friday we saw this guy turning over rocks looking for whatever lives under rocks.View attachment 248753View attachment 248754
Was it tacos? If so I am game to turn over rocks too

crappie addict is right on. Opportunistic feeders, I think all the time. It'll be pure luck. The 1 thing I think I see bears eating the most this time of year is ground bees, meaning this is about the only consistent bear sign i ever see.

I'll be straight with you, that area is not bear ground zero for this county. Yes they exist there but it would be very lucky to see one over there!
I think they've had one in particular that hangs out over there that they'd like to see gone. Apparently he tears up trail cams and other stuff around the property. We're going to hunt deer, just wanted to be prepared in case we find fresh sign or the opportunity presents itself.

Take a coleman stove and for breakfast fry up 2 pounds of bacon. The longer you cook it and the more it smokes, the better! That, or go see your local mom and pop diner and ask for their used deep fryer grease. While at it, stop by the local bakery and get all their old out of date bread and pastries they will let you have. Pour said grease and bacon on the bread products and wait until yogi shows up looking for supper.

Take a coleman stove and for breakfast fry up 2 pounds of bacon. The longer you cook it and the more it smokes, the better! That, or go see your local mom and pop diner and ask for their used deep fryer grease. While at it, stop by the local bakery and get all their old out of date bread and pastries they will let you have. Pour said grease and bacon on the bread products and wait until yogi shows up looking for supper.
Just use the grease for the bear. I'll take the bacon. Thanks! :)

Back