• Help Support TNDeer:

best decoys

JMHO, but they all are equal. Useless for me and where I generally hunt.

I guess if I needed a crutch ( ;) ) to kill turkeys I would probably get a Dave Smith decoy, they look good IMO.

Dude, don't even try. He's the know all that is all on turkey hunting. Don't you know he wrote his college thesis on turkey hunting? If not. I am sure he will inform you sometime on this thread. What he says is FACT and in no way are you going to win an argument with this guy. Anything that anybody asks he has to take a jab at people who use a different method to kill turkeys then he does. If you don't do it his way its not the right way. END OF STORY.

Sorry to hijack the thread but good lord, EVERY TIME he has to throw some crap in there to get a response.

Back on Topic. I like the blow up hen decoys with the wobbly head you get from WalMart. I think they are Featherlight. They look good, and the Toms seem to like them. I used the Billy Bad Act full strut a few times, just depends on the situation. It has worked well this year.

RNT said:
So, using a decoy is using a "crutch" to kill an animal?
No more than using a turkey call, IMO.

Here's my take on turkey decoys, after experimenting with & without using them for well over 20 years.

If you are an experienced and accomplished turkey hunter, generally speaking, turkey decoys are neither an advantage nor disadvantage --- but depending on your exact hunting methods and type habitat hunting --- they can be a huge disadvantage, or they can be a significant advantage.

If your turkey hunting is mainly "run & gun", decoys are a HUGE disadvantage IMO. If you mainly just set on the edge of an open field in a pop-up blind, decoys can be a HUGE advantage for that style of hunting. But I see this as no more a "crutch" than by someone else effectively using their turkey call.

I've noticed that often when an old Tom sees a decoy, he will come no closer. Instead, he hangs up, and expects that hen to come to him. For whatever reason, this seems to be particularly true in woods, less the case in large fields. On the other hand, in the absense of a decoy, a little subtle calling could have brought that same old Tom into your lap, i.e. they will often keep coming so long as they can't see that hen they're looking for.

One of the biggest liabilities to using decoys is simply being seen setting them out --- placing them can greatly increase the likelihood of your being seen by a either a distant or roosted turkey. Then I can't tell you how many times I've had a stronger than expected wind gust blow a decoy off it's stake, whereby either you have to go re-set it, or just waste your time hunting in front of a turkey-spooking piece of plastic rolling around in front of you.

The Primos brand decoy with the wingnut that threads onto the stake is what I use when I use. At least a strong wind gust won't blow it off the stake.

Decoys are a "mixed blessing".
I still use them with certain set-ups, but the majority of my turkey hunting is done without them.

RNT said:

It was joke, hence the ;) I put in there. Geez you boys are a riot. Can't even make a very obvious joke with one of the fabled "woodpile" boys going loco.

Relax, life isn't supposed to be so bitter.

Setterman said:
RNT said:

It was joke, hence the ;) I put in there. Geez you boys are a riot. Can't even make a very obvious joke with one of the fabled "woodpile" boys going loco.

WOW! I was expecting a lot better response to this. Heck life isn't bitter for "us" we have a great time. "We" just don't care for some people who think there way is the only and right way. ;) ;) ;) :grin:

Wes Parrish said:
RNT said:
No more than using a turkey call, IMO.

Here's my take on turkey decoys, after experimenting with & without using them for well over 20 years.

If you are an experienced and accomplished turkey hunter, generally speaking, turkey decoys are neither an advantage nor disadvantage --- but depending on your exact hunting methods and type habitat hunting --- they can be a huge disadvantage, or they can be a significant advantage.

If your turkey hunting is mainly "run & gun", decoys are a HUGE disadvantage IMO. If you mainly just set on the edge of an open field in a pop-up blind, decoys can be a HUGE advantage for that style of hunting. But I see this as no more a "crutch" than by someone else effectively using their turkey call.

I've noticed that often when an old Tom sees a decoy, he will come no closer. Instead, he hangs up, and expects that hen to come to him. For whatever reason, this seems to be particularly true in woods, less the case in large fields. On the other hand, in the absense of a decoy, a little subtle calling could have brought that same old Tom into your lap, i.e. they will often keep coming so long as they can't see that hen they're looking for.

One of the biggest liabilities to using decoys is simply being seen setting them out --- placing them can greatly increase the likelihood of your being seen by a either a distant or roosted turkey. Then I can't tell you how many times I've had a stronger than expected wind gust blow a decoy off it's stake, whereby either you have to go re-set it, or just waste your time hunting in front of a turkey-spooking piece of plastic rolling around in front of you.

The Primos brand decoy with the wingnut that threads onto the stake is what I use when I use. At least a strong wind gust won't blow it off the stake.

Decoys are a "mixed blessing".
I still use them with certain set-ups, but the majority of my turkey hunting is done without them.

Well Said!!

Setterman said:
RNT said:

I only asked a question...if you wanna throw shots...I can go down that road. The choice is yours.

Easy there 'Turkey Champ'.

Careful who you include in your jabs- innocent bystanders dont deserve your harsh treatment.

You must have a little Captain in you. WHHHAAAAATT?

Setterman said:
RNT said:

captain.jpg

:D. If only the Captain had a hook. Then he would be Captain Hook. Funny wasn't there a guy last year by that name who thought he was the "Turkey Commander". ;)

There is a difference about giving advice and giving advice with a off hand jab at people. Joke or not it gets old some times. Its also a constant

Latest posts

Back