• Help Support TNDeer:

BIG 5pt! Thoughts on age?

Id rather shoot that than a 150. Because that 150 gonna make more 150's that rig gonna make more 5 pointers. Id rather have 150 genetics passed on
He is #1 on my "hit list" for that reason. I know some on here love to hear the term "hit list". haha

Except for the fact antler genetics don't work that way. Most of the shape/size of a buck's antlers comes from his mother's genetics, not his father's.
True but I'm worried about this hoss damaging the racks of some higher scoring bucks in a fight. Haha

With that being said, does that mean he basically gets his antler characteristics from his maternal grandfather? She has to get her antler genes from somewhere
Many male-expressed traits are only carried through the female line. Male pattern baldness in humans is a prime example.

I'm not saying bucks don't contribute to their sons' antlers in some way, but at the deer pens at UGA, where they have many, many years of knowing the parentage of each deer at the facility, if you look at all of the male offspring of a single buck, none of his sons will have antlers that look alike, or look like the father. Each one is a different shape and/or size. However, if you look at all of the sons of a particular doe, they will all be the same basic shape and framework. The mother is the one who controls the basic frame and shape of her sons' antlers. That is why the same shape rack will keep popping up year after year on the same property. All of does in a family unit of females are related on their female side. Yet most will have different fathers. That family group of does will produce males with similar-shaped antlers in the same location year after year. However, many males disperse from their birth range and take their genetics with them.

Latest posts

Back