• Help Support TNDeer:

Big ole crappie

Jmed":va34h6dp said:
I cant remember the name but its not Enid that pumps out all of those giant crappie. Its in central MS and has a ton of flooded timber if that's where it is from...its on the tip of my tongue...

from the catch rate data of 22 tournaments and 1900 anglers, grenada and ross barnett held the top spot for fish over 3 pounds followed by enid with the average fish weighing at almost 1.5 lbs. pretty impressive for white crappie and with only 23 fish caught over 3 lbs out of grenada in last years tournaments, still makes that 3.5 pound fish special even in mississippi. and he caught it on the first cast. lol, i think i would have dropped by tunica and placed a large bet since the odds were in his favor that day. it took 56 hours of fishing to land a fish over 3 pounds in those tournaments.

which was my question how they knee a crappie came from ancrrtain lake. thought i was not seeing a tag or something.

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/254440/2017 ... -17-18.pdf

lol, a guy i work with goes to sardis every march and says he catches 3-4 pound crappie all the time. i told him he needed to get on the crappie tournament trail.

WTM":2o6il9vb said:
Jmed":2o6il9vb said:
I cant remember the name but its not Enid that pumps out all of those giant crappie. Its in central MS and has a ton of flooded timber if that's where it is from...its on the tip of my tongue...

from the catch rate data of 22 tournaments and 1900 anglers, grenada and ross barnett held the top spot for fish over 3 pounds followed by enid with the average fish weighing at almost 1.5 lbs. pretty impressive for white crappie and with only 23 fish caught over 3 lbs out of grenada in last years tournaments, still makes that 3.5 pound fish special even in mississippi. and he caught it on the first cast. lol, i think i would have dropped by tunica and placed a large bet since the odds were in his favor that day. it took 56 hours of fishing to land a fish over 3 pounds in those tournaments.

which was my question how they knee a crappie came from ancrrtain lake. thought i was not seeing a tag or something.

lol, a guy i work with goes to sardis every march and says he catches 3-4 pound crappie all the time. i told him he needed to get on the crappie tournament trail.

LOL Or buy a better set of scales.

I've seen some good ones , but a 3 pound plus is not common in any area I'm aware of in our general area.(Al,Tn, Ms, Ky)

There's a few here and there , but very few.

A lake or river with 1 1/2 pound average Crappie is where I need to be!

WTM":2tjxeaoj said:
Jmed":2tjxeaoj said:

Grenada,enid,eagle are the ones in miss that are supposed to have big fish.Ive fished sardis,arkubutla,enid,and grenada,fish at Enid and Grenada how shoulders on them,nice fish

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Smo":knpkuvnq said:
WTM":knpkuvnq said:
Jmed":knpkuvnq said:

LOL Or buy a better set of scales.

I've seen some good ones , but a 3 pound plus is not common in any area I'm aware of in our general area.(Al,Tn, Ms, Ky)

There's a few here and there , but very few.

A lake or river with 1 1/2 pound average Crappie is where I need to be!
The best place to catch a 3lber is miss,guy above was on a guided trip with Brandon Fulgram.Brandon had another fish over 3lbs a couple days after the one in the pic was caught.

bluball":zpntp5tt said:
guy above was on a guided trip with Brandon Fulgram.Brandon had another fish over 3lbs a couple days after the one in the pic was caught.

Do you know the guy or the guide?
If you know the guy tell him congrats and tell him I know Kenny very well.

If you know the guide, tell him congrats too! LOL

RUGER":125rg28y said:
bluball":125rg28y said:
guy above was on a guided trip with Brandon Fulgram.Brandon had another fish over 3lbs a couple days after the one in the pic was caught.

I know the guy and the guide.We fished with the guide last year on grenada.Ive met the guy that caught it on crappie.com several years ago.

bluball":1i17tw4h said:
RUGER":1i17tw4h said:
bluball":1i17tw4h said:

I know the guy and the guide.We fished with the guide last year on grenada.Ive met the guy that caught it on crappie.com several years ago.

Lol small world!

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

drrxnupe":jbkslsbc said:
no surprise coming from the MS reservoirs. Is the limit still 12 inches? It was years ago. That should tell you something

you could raise minimum lengths for 1000 years in tennessee and still not have the quality of crappie in those lakes and it fact, it would be detrimental. its a lot more complicated than simple length limit increases. MS crappie are on average 12" by the third year versus TN crappie at 10" by the third year. thats a lake fertility issue not a set limit issue.

sorry to hijack but this line of thinking grows tiring. you can start another thread and we can discuss more in depth.

WTM":2xnec8u1 said:
drrxnupe":2xnec8u1 said:
no surprise coming from the MS reservoirs. Is the limit still 12 inches? It was years ago. That should tell you something

you could raise minimum lengths for 1000 years in tennessee and still not have the quality of crappie in those lakes and it fact, it would be detrimental. its a lot more complicated than simple length limit increases. MS crappie are on average 12" by the third year versus TN crappie at 10" by the third year. thats a lake fertility issue not a set limit issue.

sorry to hijack but this line of thinking grows tiring. you can start another thread and we can discuss more in depth.

No i agree with you. the point of my statement was that the limit could be 12" because they grow so fast and get so dang big. 12" is like an average size. I was not suggesting raised size limits because i agree...it wouldnt matter.

drrxnupe":kmeydz5j said:
WTM":kmeydz5j said:
drrxnupe":kmeydz5j said:

No i agree with you. the point of my statement was that the limit could be 12" because they grow so fast and get so dang big. 12" is like an average size. I was not suggesting raised size limits because i agree...it wouldnt matter.

ok, sorry i misunderstood. youd be surprised at the number of crappie fisherman here that keep suggesting a longer length limit like MS.

the deal with the 12" length limit came from the result of a couple consecutive droughts and it wasnt necessarily to grow bigger fish. during the droughts the spawns were very weak and they even had a missing year class due to failed spawns. hence the 12" limit to protect the mature spawning fish. it worked, during the drought they had increased vegetation growth and when the normal rains returned they had some of the best year classes.

Latest posts

Back