• Help Support TNDeer:

Biggest advantage of cell cams over sd and wifi cams….

Interesting. What makes the difference in whether the information is real time or after the fact? It's the same exact info and all time stamped. What is the benefit of real time?
Too much information to try and piece together and understand when you are trying to go through thousands of pics from multiple cameras. Cell cameras allow you to see it as it is happening over time. Really is a completely different experience.

Cell cameras allow you to see it as it is happening over time. Really is a completely different experience.
As well has allowing for some different opportunities, especially when timeliness is part of equation.

Personally, I don't see myself not having an arsenal of both traditional trail cams and cell cams.
Each type has some different "pros & cons".

Why not have the best of both worlds?

Of course, there remain areas with zero to horribly poor cell service,
making cell cams a no go for those areas.

But at the time of new purchases, keep in mind most cell cams work the same as most traditional trail cams, and you don't have to use the cell feature. Some cell cams are actually priced cheaper (at time of purchase) than their comparable non-cell traditional trail cams.

I often discontinue the cell feature on some cell cams afield, say in May, and those cams simply continue working as a traditional trail cam until I go retrieve the sd card. May go "service" one of those, say in October, then finding out what happened there between May & October, restarting the cell plan with a new sd card & new batteries in October.

Leaving out cell cams for long periods of time, such as year, can necessitate higher capacity sd cards than are useable on some brands. I'm not buying any new cell cams that won't accept at least a 64 mb sd card. If you're running video, you may need at least a 128 mb card.

Last edited:
For me personally, if I used cell cams and a big buck showed up, I would have buck fever so bad every squirrel coming up from behind me would give me a heart attack! I like not knowing what is coming. Of course the rut changes everything. Most of the mature bucks I killed were rarely on my cams. Obviously their range shifted once Coño showed up.

Latest posts

Back