• Help Support TNDeer:

Biggest advantage of cell cams over sd and wifi cams….

Unfortunately I cannot access but a few of my cameras from atv. However, I am purposeful in how I place them specifically so I can access without stepping into the area I expect deer to move through. Doesn't seem to be an issue for me.
If you take that kind of approach care, I'm sure you can get away with a lot. My problem is many camera sites I want to use are along old logging roads that run down ridgelines. The only way to access those sites is to either walk or drive down the ridgeline, which also happens to be the primary deer travel corridor.

If you take that kind of approach care, I'm sure you can get away with a lot. My problem is many camera sites I want to use are along old logging roads that run down ridgelines. The only way to access those sites is to either walk or drive down the ridgeline, which also happens to be the primary deer travel corridor.
Bryan,
Good point...but allow me to elaborate a tad!

Approaching with care is relative. If one is talking about pulling SD cards in an area...say a yard of a residential neighborhood, where deer encounter human scent on a regular basis, with ZERO negative association, walk to that camera barefoot every few hours and leave human hair nearby.
Big Mature bucks or does may become wary if they have had Pryor negative encounters with this type of scent. But these deer will be much more tolerant of human intrusion than deer who have been hunted since birth, and seen other deer killed associated with the scent of man. In other words little if any positive human interaction.

Positive human interaction might be watching humans as they feed in a food plot or fill a feeder or drive a tractor or do something that results in human = positive.

Vs.

MOST Human encounters they have involve some type of FEAR. Like 4 wheeler = human pressure.
Gravel popping = human pressure after a summer of low gravel activity followed by a Fall of high gravel activity.

Don't believe me.
Well believe this. Mature deer are often as smart a a mature German Shepherd.

The degree of "smartness" varies dramatically from dog to dog and deer to deer.

That is why, on a BROAD basis, cell cam =no human intrusion after initial set up = less Fair Chase.

BSK asked
"Just out of curiosity, can you define NON manipulated habitat. Hasn't all habitat in TN been manipulated by Man?"

Big public Hardwoods, hills and Hollers, not hunting over a rich, "least factor" food plot or feeder! In other words you going to the deer, on their turf. Not Bringing the deer to you!

Trust me, I DO BOTH! NOTHING wrong with either.

But one is FAR easier than the other!

For those running non-cellular cams, one piece of advice. Do NOT walk to your cameras. You are leaving scent that will drive deer away from the camera set-up. I've found that - for some strange reason - deer do not act as negatively to where a vehicle has driven versus a person walked. It only takes a couple of walks to a camera to see activity at that site decline. Yet when I drive my ATV right up to the camera, that site will be productive all season, some sites not hitting their peak until well over a month after I placed a camera there and visited on ATV weekly. This has become so evident in my data that I will no longer place a camera anywhere I can't drive right up to it on my ATV.
I see what you're saying. We have a feeder off our back deck that my wife drinks coffee and watches the wildlife. Anyway I keep a sd camera on it just to see what's around and walk to check it every wed and Sunday. Basically get the same deer every day. Are they just used to me doing that? Doesn't seem to bother them.

For those running non-cellular cams, one piece of advice. Do NOT walk to your cameras. You are leaving scent that will drive deer away from the camera set-up. I've found that - for some strange reason - deer do not act as negatively to where a vehicle has driven versus a person walked. It only takes a couple of walks to a camera to see activity at that site decline. Yet when I drive my ATV right up to the camera, that site will be productive all season, some sites not hitting their peak until well over a month after I placed a camera there and visited on ATV weekly. This has become so evident in my data that I will no longer place a camera anywhere I can't drive right up to it on my ATV.
We use a tractor a ton for doing stuff like that. If we move a stand leave a tractor running by us while we work. We use our side by side to.

I have 2 moultrie cell cams. They cost me $21 a month. I really don't care to run cameras anymore, but these cell cams make it so easy I really don't feel like I'm running them. I have the pics set to upload to my app once a day to save in battery usage. And the batteries last right around a year. I'm only going to the cams roughly twice a year to refresh batteries a and salt.
What batteries you use?

much prefer the cell cams. would rather throw up a cell cam in an area that is hard to get to, and let it gather intel for me without me having to disturb the area. i still run about the same amount of sd cams as i do cell cams but i put the sd cams in areas where i can drive my ranger right up to the camera and set my cell cams in areas that aren't easily accessible. grant woods had an interesting take on this which is why i started doing it that way, which is that he doesn't seem to think that deer feel the pressure as much when you can drive a truck/sideXside/four wheeler right up to the camera and check it compared to accessing it by foot.

I see what you're saying. We have a feeder off our back deck that my wife drinks coffee and watches the wildlife. Anyway I keep a sd camera on it just to see what's around and walk to check it every wed and Sunday. Basically get the same deer every day. Are they just used to me doing that? Doesn't seem to bother them.
Yes. They are used to you and have decided - in that situation - you are not a threat. As 102 pointed out, it's all about conditioning. Deer - even old deer - do not react negatively to my scent in the food plots. Why? because I'm always working in them and since I rarely if ever hunt any of my food plots, my scent in that location is not a threat. They smell me there year-round. But deer have amazing spatial awareness. They have learned a particular person scent (or any human scent for that matter) is normal and not dangerous in some locations. But that very same scent in areas that are only entered during hunting season IS a threat. That's why deer will completely ignore a farmer working around the barns or in the fields, but they will spook and run if they encounter him in the woods. The woods are usually not walked in except for hunting.

grant woods had an interesting take on this which is why i started doing it that way, which is that he doesn't seem to think that deer feel the pressure as much when you can drive a truck/sideXside/four wheeler right up to the camera and check it compared to accessing it by foot.
Hmmm, I wonder where he got that idea...

Same for me.

Do you guys take extra care to try to minimize scent, or just get in and get out?

Also do you tend to reduce access as season approaches?

I don't do anything scent related except minimize my presence in the area. All of my cameras are looking at scrapes, water holes, mineral sites, trail intersections, pinch points, etc. and I access them from behind, never stepping anywhere near the spot they're looking at or on the trail leading to & from.

I actually check cams more as season approaches, and then during season. Camera sites & stand sites are basically the same. They're placed with hope of seeing focused daylight activity. So anywhere I have a stand I also have a camera, and I check it whenever I'm there to hunt. Leading up to season I go out to scout and check cams. When season opens I go in to hunt and only check the cams I walk near on my access or the cam near the stand I'm hunting.

Latest posts

Back