• Help Support TNDeer:

bluegills

larry ipock

Went to the lake today for a short trip, caught 8 of the biggest gills I've ever caught. All were 9.5 to 10.25 in. Didn't have an ice chest, so they are all still swimming free.

On one of our trips with rsimms catching 20-30 pound catfish became sort of "yeah another cookie cutter fish" seriously, we did catch that many. :D

He just kind of half way asked.... "Would ya'll care to try for some bream" in an almost apology tone. LOL

Talk about FUN!!! I can't remember the total number of bream we caught but it was a BUNCH of them.
Bream after bream after bream after bream, all 9 3/4" to 9 7/8" long :super: :super: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

very nice and congrats. i always like to hear of folks releasing the bigger bulls, especially if on a smaller lake. it helps keep the size structure intact and keeps the smaller fish from maturing too early and its stunting effects.

WTM":3lt5x56i said:
very nice and congrats. i always like to hear of folks releasing the bigger bulls, especially if on a smaller lake. it helps keep the size structure intact and keeps the smaller fish from maturing too early and its stunting effects.

Yep, alot of people can't appreciate the joys of catch & release on big bull bream. :D

TheLBLman":1yg0o31c said:
RUGER":1yg0o31c said:
. . . . alot of people can't appreciate the joys of catch & release on big bull bream. :D
But most can appreciate the joys of a big bull bream in a big black skillet :D
Yes sir!!!!!

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Strange how fishing goes. I was using a drop shot with 4 in worms for smallmouth in 20 - 25 ft. Something kept tearing up the worms, but no hook-ups. I had some crickets on board from a previous trip. Had no idea Norris had bluegills that size. It was a lot of fun!

larry ipock":hmxkfm3m said:
Strange how fishing goes. I was using a drop shot with 4 in worms for smallmouth in 20 - 25 ft. Something kept tearing up the worms, but no hook-ups. I had some crickets on board from a previous trip. Had no idea Norris had bluegills that size. It was a lot of fun!

lol, you stumbled upon a pattern that takes some hardcore bluegill fisherman a few years to figure out. if you dont have crickets a 1 inch gulp minnow works well. works really well with a 1/12-1/8th micro spoon, treble hooked replaced with a 210 short shank hook or a trout egg hook and a 1" gulp minnow on the hook.(thanks to dave stankey on that method).

fun fact: in most lakes it takes 8-10 years for a bluegill to reach 10" and 7 years to begin to reach sexual maturity age. a 1 lb largemouth bass can eat 2 dozen 4" bluegills a month and sometimes a dozen 5"ers a month. find a lake with a healthy bass population and you will usually find a healthy bluegill population, unless their is heavy pressure on the larger bluegills. when the bigger bulls are removed, nothing is there to keep the sexual maturity of the smaller fish in check. once the smaller fish' gonads are developed then they just stop growing and you end up with a bunch of 4-5" stunted fish. on large lakes its not as pronounced because there are many more places for those fish to hide.

Back