• Help Support TNDeer:

Boat Insurance

I just callled my agent when i bought the boat. It sounds too cheap. Im sure its just liability? He asked me which vehicle i would br towing it with.

I assume it just protects liability when im towing it maybe?

I always used progressive because it was competitively priced and included on the water towing service in case of a breakdown.
I've never checked into this, just assumed emergency towing would be capped at a couple hundred dollars.

For example, in MS if you call sea tow and don't have a membership, it's $950 average charge to tow in.

I need to call Progressive and find out their max cap on towing. I've been cheap and skimping on a sea tow membership ($200 per year). Just figured if I had a mechanical in the marsh I could call the launch and offer $100 plus a case of beer and someone local would jump at the chance to tow me back to launch.

I've never checked into this, just assumed emergency towing would be capped at a couple hundred dollars.

For example, in MS if you call sea tow and don't have a membership, it's $950 average charge to tow in.

I need to call Progressive and find out their max cap on towing. I've been cheap and skimping on a sea tow membership ($200 per year). Just figured if I had a mechanical in the marsh I could call the launch and offer $100 plus a case of beer and someone local would jump at the chance to tow me back to launch.
Mine didn't have a limit. They sent seatow to bring me gas in the marquesas after some peckerhead stole the gas I had stashed on one of the islands on a five day trip.

Thats 25 miles one way from key west. Only cost me the price of the fuel they brought.

I also liked that I could pick the insured replacement value. They didn't argue the value of the boat. They just adjusted the premiums to match their risk.

Mine didn't have a limit. They sent seatow to bring me gas in the marquesas after some peckerhead stole the gas I had stashed on one of the islands on a five day trip.

Thats 25 miles one way from key west. Only cost me the price of the fuel they brought.

I also liked that I could pick the insured replacement value. They didn't argue the value of the boat. They just adjusted the premiums to match their risk.
Awesome!

Agreed with the insured replacement value part. I bought my boat for $5000 (granted it was in terrible shape), but after getting it back in top shape, it's worth 15 to 17k. They had no qualms about me insuring it for 13k replacement value.

I'll call them, and if they don't have a limit on towing, I'll sleep better and have sea tow on speed dial in case of a mechanical. Heck, my insurance is less than a sea tow membership.

Awesome!

Agreed with the insured replacement value part. I bought my boat for $5000 (granted it was in terrible shape), but after getting it back in top shape, it's worth 15 to 17k. They had no qualms about me insuring it for 13k replacement value.

I'll call them, and if they don't have a limit on towing, I'll sleep better and have sea tow on speed dial in case of a mechanical. Heck, my insurance is less than a sea tow membership.
Better check that again. You couldn't touch that boat for 13k in the real world.

Better check that again. You couldn't touch that boat for 13k in the real world.
No doubt. It's worth 15 to 17k. I just chose to insure for 13k for lower premium!

But boat prices are finally coming down.post covid inflation. My boat was selling for 26k a year ago, just saw one a little nicer than mine sell for 19k after 3 months on the market last week.

I really want a 2nd boat. 21 ft with higher gunnels to go out to the islands on nice days in the summer. But no way wife will go for that.

Latest posts

Back