• Help Support TNDeer:

Boat mechanic on the east side

SilverFox

I had been taking my boat to Madisonville Marine for service since I had some problems with the local dealer. I found out one of the guys from the local dealer opened his own business not long ago. I needed some maintenance done the other day and decided to try him out since I knew him from the dealership. Right now he's running the show by himself and his shop is at his house on Cherokee Lake. I called him and left a message and he called me back to set up an appointment to drop my boat off. He did the work and also pointed out a few other things to watch out for, all in a timely manner and at a reasonable price. He can water test any work since the lake is across the street. The only thing that bothered me is he doesn't have a fence around his garage but I had everything out the boat anyways so I could clean the carpet so it wasn't a big deal for me.

His shop is off HWY 375 between Grainger County Park boat launch and German Creek on Cherokee Drive. His name is Ty and his business number is 423-736-8738. If he doesn't answer, leave him a message. He called me back a couple hours later. He stocks some basic stuff along with some oil and batteries too. He had the parts on hand to fix my boat so he may have more stuff than I know of.

I have never heard nothing but good feedback on Ty. I have never used him myself, but plan to next time I need something since he is on his own now. What was his hourly labor rate if you don't mind me asking? He should be quite a bit less than the dealership he used to work for since he doesn't have the large overhead.

I don't know for sure... it took him 2 hours to do mine. My bill was $156 and the parts were about $40 so I'm guessing around $50-$55. It may be on the bill but I don't have it available at the moment. What impressed me was he told me stuff to check regularly with my motor and tightened up some stuff on the motor he has seen trouble with before. Plugged it up and checked temps and hours on the engine. I didn't have time to go for the lake test... Had to pick my boy up from school. The bill matched what he quoted me over the phone.

I think the last place I checked was $75 an hour labor rate.

Latest posts

Back