• Help Support TNDeer:

Boat Ramp parking

Methane

The YouTube fisherman rant got me thinking about annoyances at the boat ramp. My buddies and I were at our honey hole a couple weeks ago. When we pulled in the lot, we noticed 3 Richard Heads had pulled in and parked at a completely opposite angle. These were just cars, they were taking up room for about 5 trucks/trailers. When we left, only one Richard was still parked there, but was easily taking the room of 3 truck/trailers. It's annoying.

I have a strong dislike for the idiots that can't back up a boat trailer. Last weekend after Saturday morning turkey hunt, we decided to go fishing. Fished for a few hours and while loading up, we watched another guy struggling to back his trailer out of the parking spot. He eventually got it but backed into someone else's boat while doing so.

I have a strong dislike for the idiots that can't back up a boat trailer. Last weekend after Saturday morning turkey hunt, we decided to go fishing. Fished for a few hours and while loading up, we watched another guy struggling to back his trailer out of the parking spot. He eventually got it but backed into someone else's boat while doing so.
Shoot, Shovel, Shut the #uck Up

ive got a lot of patience (lol years of youth baseball coaching and martial arts instructor), with folks that cant put a boat in. two things that rake my arse worse than anything: lazy arses who park their cars and fish on the ramp and people who do mechanicing on the ramp.

Boat ramp Port Royal SC while down redfishing in November. No note, $3k in damage. Thankfully ONLY cost me $500 to cover non-insured …
Police did nothing although they said " we just replaced the cameras at that launch"

1651265517904.jpeg

Attachments

• 9D50525A-A5EF-4CA8-8868-B4432175B2F9.jpeg
    9D50525A-A5EF-4CA8-8868-B4432175B2F9.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 80
Boat ramps are a constant source of entertainment and anger for me. I'm okay with the newbie backing trailers. I am not okay with crap parking jobs, and really not okay with these two

1. the people with coolers chairs etc clogging the ramp, I'll literally back through their stuff as a message to move. Most times they won't move, it's insane
2. The people who back down to waters edge and then get everything together prior to launching. Do that s*** in the staging area and back down when all you have to do is launch.

Night time is when the ramp and dock fishing people come out in full force. And you're right, some of them won't move or even acknowledge you being there. I hate coming back to the ramp after dark and seeing those lighted bobbers out surrounding the dock and ramp. When I bank fished and didn't have a boat or kayak, I always went to places away from boat and vehicle traffic. It's just as bad with some of the kayak people using the ramps. I get that it's public access and such but they'll park the kayaks right on the ramp. Back down to them...then unload everything out of the kayak. Load it into the truck or trailer...and take their sweet time doing it. The whole point of a kayak vs boat IMO is to fish places boats can't get into. Instead, they buy these giant heavy ones, trick them out with electronics, trolling motors, etc. Carry around 6 rods/reels and a mini BPS worth of gear on the back and then HAVE to have a trailer for them and thus a boat ramp to launch them from. My kayak has 1 rod, 1 box of hooks/sinkers and basic lures, and a paddle for backup. The only other gear in it is a set of pliers and small net I keep under the seat. Basic and simple, and out of people's way.

Sardis Lake MS in the spring.

Waiting in line of traffic for 1.5 to 2 hours to launch boat.

Only ramp open due to water level is a double wide ramp.

Watching people cover the entire ramp with their boat and vehicle while backing in.

I really don't miss all that. LoL

Yesterday as I pulled up there was a boat in the ramp of three I like to use . No big deal, figured it would be out of the way after I prepped …….. no. So launched in another ramp there and walking back to get in the boat I look over and an OLD MAN was there sitting on his trailer . Walk over and asked if he needed help. Long story short he was 89 years old fishing by himself. Could not feel his feet and had screwed his trailering up so I went for a wade, got the boat back on the trailer and he never even said thanks. I figured he was so distraught at the reality of his predicament that he wasn't thinking straight. He got up and drove away. I did offer my hand , shook it, and said keep fishing. Figured dying in the river eventually is better than dying in a hospital bed.

Attachments

• 901AC66F-BCDF-46DB-90B4-CB50A7D8F1F7.jpeg
    901AC66F-BCDF-46DB-90B4-CB50A7D8F1F7.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 68
Yesterday as I pulled up there was a boat in the ramp of three I like to use . No big deal, figured it would be out of the way after I prepped …….. no. So launched in another ramp there and walking back to get in the boat I look over and an OLD MAN was there sitting on his trailer . Walk over and asked if he needed help. Long story short he was 89 years old fishing by himself. Could not feel his feet and had screwed his trailering up so I went for a wade, got the boat back on the trailer and he never even said thanks. I figured he was so distraught at the reality of his predicament that he wasn't thinking straight. He got up and drove away. I did offer my hand , shook it, and said keep fishing. Figured dying in the river eventually is better than dying in a hospital bed.
I got humbled real good one day when I was waiting for an old man to launch his boat. Impatient as usual for the slow pokes and then I saw the problem. He was trying to get things just right so he could load his handicapped son into the boat. You could tell he'd been doing it for years. The son weighed more than he did and could do absolutely nothing to help himself. I hurried down to offer assistance and he said thanks but no as he got him strapped in the seat with his life jacket. No words. Just thanked God I had two strong, healthy sons and was extremely humbled by the experience.

For years at Sardis, we would see a man that had no legs, launching his boat at the various ramps. He would back the boat in and dump it tied to a line hooked to his trailer, get it on the bank, then go back to his truck and park it, then come back to the boat, climb in and head out fishing.

All on crutches. My Dad and I always helped him load and unload if we were there at the same time. He was always grateful for the help and constantly had a smile on his face.

Kinda makes your issues in life seem pretty small...

Latest posts

Back