• Help Support TNDeer:

Boltguns?

Are boltguns archery equipment?

• Yes

• No

• Are CBs archery equipment?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not sure I've seen anyone hating on crossbows in this thread, only disagreement whether it's archery or not. I grew up hunting with a Ben Pearson recurve. Hunted with it for 30yrs. I also hunt with a compound, and not against hunting with a crossbow. But there is a very clear difference between a crossbow and longbow. Even bigger difference between bolt gun and longbow.

I don't get understand the crossbow hate from people who shoot modern compound bows. I was against crossbow usage at first but I have since converted to the dark side after many years and shoot a crossbow. They have their pros and cons, but they are definitely more cumbersome than a compound bow, and I've had to pass shots with a crossbow in my hands that I could have taken if I had had a compound bow in my hands.

I am concerned about people who try to take unethical distance shots with a crossbow, but has anyone watched any YouTube hunters using compound bows lately? There are several guys who brag about taking 100yd+ shots with a compound bow on game, and some who advocate for bow shots up the poop chute.

I don't hate crossbows, and I'm not a purist even though I'm a traditional bow hunter.

I thought the definition of a bow was that the string had to be hand-held until release, not held back indefinitely by a non hand held mechanism, with no strain on the shooter.

Making that observation is a non emotional thing for me.

Unless a person has an injury preventing them from drawing and holding a bow, virtually anyone can be a decent archer. It just takes practice and dedication, and learning to control the nerves on deer. And I mean anyone can do it. But you gotta live within the limitations, and THATS where the problems start.

And my crossbows are cheap centerpoints, one of which I caught on clearance, and the other was given to me. They are surprisingly accurate, but loud and a pain to reload in the stand
Centerpoints are good crossbows for the cost of them. I have shot a couple and really like them.

Yes on crossbows being archery and they've been around since medieval times.

Same argument against them from the archery snobs as there was when the Bear Whitetail hunter hit the market. I started out with a Pearson recurve in the 70s and never was a great shot with it. Transitioned to a compound when they came out, and heard same crap from traditional guys. Same arguments again when overdraws came out too. Killed lots of deer & 4 bulls with them but that came to an end with two neck surgeries that prohibit me pulling a bow. Actually quit archery hunting for 5-6 years because of stigmatism attached to crossbows. Bought one 4 years ago and now back archery hunting. Still a close up game of 30 yds max for me and glad I have the option.
I still have a bear whitetail. Haven't used it in 30 years but keep it around now cause it's old. Hard to imagine compared to today's bow's. But they killed plenty of deer for a long time.

I have read they shoot similar to a crossbow, reckon folks kill deer at 199y with about anything these days, add another pulley and let it rip, between crossbows and baiting deer will go extinct :eek:

I agree with this with the exception of an injury that prevents from shooting a trad or compound now.
I do not have any issue with the present application of the system. But i will never consider it archery. If you are injured to the point that you cannot grip draw and anchor, then you just do not shoot archery anymore. Which is fine.

Back