• Help Support TNDeer:

Bowfishing Fever!

rsimms

I have always LOVED to bowfish, but in recent years just haven't made the effort to do it much except rare trips with friends. But not long ago I bought an old used, 15-foot job boat with a 25 HP Evinrude for the primary purpose of bowfishing and duck hunting. I've been busy guiding so it took me a while to get a trolling motor, batteries and various other rigging. But with the past week's guide trips getting flooded out, I had some time. Finally got it water ready and made my first bowfishing excursion last night.

Before dark I skewered a good number of gar (and missed a bunch). After dark I found the carp. The water was really muddy from flooding we've had, and the light on the boat is really amateurish... but by golly, it worked. I probably spooked 4 times as many fish as I saw, but it didn't much matter because they were out in force. I shot at least 15 carp & gar (and missed that many, or many more). Bottomline, it was a total blast and is going to be very nice not to have to wait on an invite from a bowfishing friend.

I just took a couple of photos of gar before dark. Didn't bother with any pics when I got into the carp after dark. #1 - It was dark. #2 - I was too darn busy!

Attachments

• web_bow_selfie4.jpg
    web_bow_selfie4.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 939
  • web_bow_selfie2.jpg
    web_bow_selfie2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 942
  • web_bow_selfie3.jpg
    web_bow_selfie3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 940
8-) cant pull a bow now but xbow can be used I think ,hope folks get out there and kill some slant eyed carp :rotf:

who would like to go.....i have a 2072 seaark.fully rigged out to bowfish......my deck holds 5 adults,and i can draft less than a ft of water....any takers

Grnwing":38urxwy9 said:
Looks like a great time. What do you end up doing with the fish afterwards?

I dump them back in the lake (NEVER anywhere a launch ramp or other public use area). Since they have been "penetrated" by the arrow, they do not bloat and float to the top... they sink to the bottom where the turtles and other critters make quick work of them.

On a side note, commercial fishermen do that with their dead, unwanted by-catch (often carp) found dead in nets... they always puncture them with a knife so they won't float and drop them back in water.

kopter doktor":2bc97lme said:
who would like to go.....i have a 2072 seaark.fully rigged out to bowfish......my deck holds 5 adults,and i can draft less than a ft of water....any takers
Uhhhh, yea!!!!!!
I love shootin fish!!
I use my dads old fiberglass/wood bear bow. It's awesome for bow fishing!!

kopter doktor":2re2mt2h said:

TAKER TAKER!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to bowfish every weekend and even did a few tournaments. Had a 2072 G3 decked out with lights and the whole 9 yards. Sold the boat right before my daughter was born. Pretty much quit cold turkey. Haha. I haven't shot a fish in two years and I miss it dearly but I DO NOT miss owning a bowfishing boat. Haha. If you think owning boat is a money pit, try owning a tricked out bowfishing boat. Endless upkeep.......d@mn near need to hire an electrician full time just to keep everything working. Hahaha

kopter doktor":1ce3uwu5 said:

Im in, I always bowfish out of my little jon boat would love to get out on a big boat with a group of guys and do some shootin, I got a couple extra bows also, if theres anyone around my neck of the woods that wants to go I need another bowfishing partner my brother cant always go and my wife doesn't go as much as she used to.

That's awesome man.

My son is in the process of rigging up his new to him boat for bowfishing.
He and his girlfriend love it!

I do too but they stay out too late for me. :D

tree_ghost":3pl421s7 said:
RUGER":3pl421s7 said:

Geez ya old fart

LOL I admit it. :)
Hey, last year when we went to the all out carp out at Guntersville, I lasted till like 3 a.m. till I passed out on the back seat beside the generator. :)

RUGER":3tn2uesn said:
tree_ghost":3tn2uesn said:
RUGER":3tn2uesn said:

Geez ya old fart

LOL I admit it. :)
Hey, last year when we went to the all out carp out at Guntersville, I lasted till like 3 a.m. till I passed out on the back seat beside the generator. :)

Sleeping and bowfishing are polar opposites. But if it's a good bowfishing night/place, sleeping will never occur to you. Hard rock music and adult beverages help, and all insures that when you do sleep, it will be soundly! :bore:

Latest posts

Back