• Help Support TNDeer:

Break/shellcracker beds and this cold

woodsman04

I'm way more of a turkey hunter than pan fishermen, but my next favorite thing is fishing for breams on bed.
What y'all think on the temps this weekend? Lows in the 30s and highs in the 50s and 60s? I've always thought you got Have some sweat on your face to catch these things. I know water temps have more to do with it. February and March were warmer than normal, but April and so far May has been really cool.
And don't worry, I ain't good enough or go enough to get in any of yalls way. I just don't really remember having many first moon of May when temps are similar to February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Break/shellcracker beds and this cold

And don't know how to edit title, auto correct put break instead of bream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw bluegills on bed in a farm pond back on April 9. I assume the cold pushed them off but I haven't been back to see.

Attachments

• 747E957F-8C20-4AF4-BED7-F09C5A3E021F.jpeg
    747E957F-8C20-4AF4-BED7-F09C5A3E021F.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 813

I was on the shell crackers pretty good in early April. They've been scattered ever since.

I had this weekend marked to hit the water for some bluegill and shellcrackers. Lord knows I'm not hitting the water Saturday morn with a 9 year when it's suppose to be 34 degrees. We'll see how the afternoon winds look and go from there. This should be close to prime bed fishing in the shallows.

I hit 5 spots last Sunday on KY Lake where I have always caught good size bream and shellcracker. We only caught 3 keeper bream and a catfish in those spots. We caught about 10 really small bream and used them for catfish bait. Ended up catching 2 catfish under the Paris Landing bridge on em. It was a really slow day. With this cold this weekend, I think it might be another week or 2 before they are stacked up on the beds. Water temp was 67 in the shallow part of the bay.

Back