• Help Support TNDeer:

Bream fishing

Daniel n

I know a couple of you guys do really good Bream fishing. I usually bass fishing but I'm taking my kids out this evening. How are the best ways to target them? Red worms, night crawlers, or minnows? I have no idea where to start. Best place to look for them? Docks, lay downs, etc... any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Stykbow":2nk5rkd6 said:
You can't beat crickets for just catching fish in large numbers.

I agree with this 100%.
I have seen, at times, red worms outperform but that is very rare for me.

When targeting shellcrackers red worms are the go to bait though.

When on beds you just find them and catch them. Start on the outside edges of the beds and work your way across the entire area. Don't start by pulling fish out of the middle of the beds, it will scatter the fish and even though they will return it just wastes time.

After bedding ends is when most people stop even trying to catch bream. At this time I use two tactics to catch them.

Beat the bank just like you are bass fishing. Just ease along and pitch it in there jiggle it a few times then move it.
If they are there they will hit it quick, no need in wasting time sitting there staring at the float.
Blow downs, logs, ANY structure really.
Also a favorite of mine is to find a tree that the limbs are hanging over the water high enough that you can throw up under the limbs towards the bank.
There WILL be bream there.

My second tactic is to just find some 6-8 foot deep water and fish about a foot off the bottom. I prefer a shell bed or gravel spot like an old road or whatever.
This generally produces higher quality fish but lower numbers.

I am a snob as per my rig too. I admit it but I have bream fished a long time and I am just telling you, it matters.
6 pound flurocarbon line. Number 6 gold tru-turn hook. Small (the smallest walmart sells) slip float with a bobber stop so you can adjust your depth easily. I have found when searching for the fish in an area you KNOW there are bream, a change in your depth of only 6" can make a world of difference.
I use the smallest possible weight that will upright the float, or ALMOST upright it, but I feel if you have too much weight the fish will feel it and when they are being finiky they will drop the bait.

Big bream don't "nibble" either. They hit it and hit it like they mean it. Little bitty baby bream will nibble nibble nibble. I don't play that I just move the bait.

RUGER":2hwc7ucn said:
Stykbow":2hwc7ucn said:
You can't beat crickets for just catching fish in large numbers.

I agree with this 100%.
I have seen, at times, red worms outperform but that is very rare for me.

When targeting shellcrackers red worms are the go to bait though.

When on beds you just find them and catch them. Start on the outside edges of the beds and work your way across the entire area. Don't start by pulling fish out of the middle of the beds, it will scatter the fish and even though they will return it just wastes time.

After bedding ends is when most people stop even trying to catch bream. At this time I use two tactics to catch them.

Beat the bank just like you are bass fishing. Just ease along and pitch it in there jiggle it a few times then move it.
If they are there they will hit it quick, no need in wasting time sitting there staring at the float.
Blow downs, logs, ANY structure really.
Also a favorite of mine is to find a tree that the limbs are hanging over the water high enough that you can throw up under the limbs towards the bank.
There WILL be bream there.

My second tactic is to just find some 6-8 foot deep water and fish about a foot off the bottom. I prefer a shell bed or gravel spot like an old road or whatever.
This generally produces higher quality fish but lower numbers.

I am a snob as per my rig too. I admit it but I have bream fished a long time and I am just telling you, it matters.
6 pound flurocarbon line. Number 6 gold tru-turn hook. Small (the smallest walmart sells) slip float with a bobber stop so you can adjust your depth easily. I have found when searching for the fish in an area you KNOW there are bream, a change in your depth of only 6" can make a world of difference.
I use the smallest possible weight that will upright the float, or ALMOST upright it, but I feel if you have too much weight the fish will feel it and when they are being finiky they will drop the bait.

Big bream don't "nibble" either. They hit it and hit it like they mean it. Little bitty baby bream will nibble nibble nibble. I don't play that I just move the bait.
Thanks Ruger! We spent 2 hours out. We did find some fish that were willing to cooperate, they just didn't have any size. We probably caught 20 all together. We had a blast!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back