• Help Support TNDeer:

Bringing the Climbing Stand Back in the Mix

I use all manner of stands. Currently have a lock on (Hawk), A climber (Summit - Steel), tent blind, and a Saddle system. Have even used my turkey vest.

Everything has it's place.

If I am sneaking into his bedroom, the Climber or the Saddle gets the nod. If I have a good scrape line set up, I will set up the lock on. Nice field view with a good honeysuckle edge, the tent blind is so easy to set up behind it and get a view of the field.

That being said, with my heavy Summit climber, I added a carry system that works GREAT. I can strap my small backpack to it, toss it on my shoulders and Hike in. Link below. https://a.co/d/hBDbfhC

just blows my mind how much $ saddle kits are still for what you are actually getting. Minimal material, some ropes, carabiner and an aluminum platform thats tiny for $600 hahah. Thats not even adding in sticks and other stuff you may want. I get it liability or something may drive up the price but good lord ill just keep on using a climber until thats not silly
I think they are closer to $900 these days for "kits". Seems ridiculously overpriced.

just blows my mind how much $ saddle kits are still for what you are actually getting. Minimal material, some ropes, carabiner and an aluminum platform thats tiny for $600 hahah. Thats not even adding in sticks and other stuff you may want. I get it liability or something may drive up the price but good lord ill just keep on using a climber until thats not silly
I got mine very cheap with 5 sticks saddle and 2 platforms I paid 225 for mine. I'd never have one if I had to pay full price. It's a fad and fads are expensive. No difference then sitka or first lite there stuff is crazy over priced as well. All fads. What's funny is how many people I know with a saddle thats never used one. I don't use it much at all our farms are set up for the most part but there's always holes on plans.

Saddles are expensive! lol. I remember the original greens saddle i had it must have weighed 10lbs by itself! lol. The sit drag with rock climbers harness was a game changer and opened up the world of saddle hunting.

I didn't pay half that. Bought mine with everything except sticks for $149. Found some sticks on sale $89.

I love my Summit. I use the Titan. I had a SS Goliath years ago but recently upgraded to the Titan after my storage building was broken into and about 5k worth of hunting stuff was stolen.

Yep my set up is expensive, but under 10 lbs and i wear it all in and out of the woods atleast 4 days a week . I can be 20 ft up any tree in ten minutes and there is virtually no way i can fall. No sticks to fool with , no heavy cumbersome climber and zero noise!

Yep my set up is expensive, but under 10 lbs and i wear it all in and out of the woods atleast 4 days a week . I can be 20 ft up any tree in ten minutes and there is virtually no way i can fall. No sticks to fool with , no heavy cumbersome climber and zero noise!

Let;s be honest, the one stick method is not going to appeal to the majority of hunters.

Let;s be honest, the one stick method is not going to appeal to the majority of hunters.
Its the greatest thing since sliced bread to me, after having two major back surgeries with rods,screws,pins, and a cage, it the most comfortable and efficient way for me to carry,climb, hang, and rapell. I can sit all day in my saddle vrs two hours in a climber, ladder or hangon. The one stick method is the easiest way ive ever climbed a tree, zero effort or ability needed. If they would take the time to actually try it out and figure it out, most would be surprised how much easier and faster and safer it is, but you must trust your equipment or you wont like it

Last edited:
I mean dont get me wrong. I love the IDEA of saddle hunting, weight reduction and not limited to certain trees but between cost and LEARNING it I just dont want to fool with it

Its like having and Iphone knowing android is better but at my age there is NO WAY im trying to learn how to reuse a phone lol.

I still have my Summit Viper but haven't used it since Presidents Island a few years ago. May have to look into the pack noted above that makes it much more comfortable to carry. I also bought a saddle a couple years ago and have had it on the trees in the yard but haven't hunted out of it. My thought for it was it's super thick in some place I hunt and easier to get in and out with it than a tree stand. Hope to use it at least once this year.

Back to climbing stands, what's the lightest one out there?

Back to climbing stands, what's the lightest one out there?

for only $1000 you can have this lightweight one lol althought it has a 2FIDDY weight limit so you may have to skip a lunch or 2 :)

for only $1000 you can have this lightweight one lol althought it has a 2FIDDY weight limit so you may have to skip a lunch or 2 :)

For $1000 I need a much more comfortable seat than that pancake looking thing. I'm at 210 thank you very much. This swole physique just makes me look bigger. 😂

Back