• Help Support TNDeer:

Bulking up quickly…..

redblood

This is a mainframe 10 with a split g3. Hes been pretty regular, but it looks like he has gained 50 pounds in the last month. Thoughts on age….

Attachments

• IMG_2049.webp
    IMG_2049.webp
    99.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2005.webp
    IMG_2005.webp
    84 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2025.webp
    IMG_2025.webp
    123.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2026.webp
    IMG_2026.webp
    136.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2030.webp
    IMG_2030.webp
    118.7 KB · Views: 1
If your looking at just body's in these pics you would think it's different deer, first pic I would say 5.5 others are 4.5
EXACTLY what I was thinking. It is amazing how different one can look age wise based on the pic angle and body posture.

No doubt he is at least 4.5... I suspect he will keep filling out over the next month and have a classic 5.5yo appearance just before the rut

He appears to have a roman nose. I have always heard that is a trait that emerges in older deer. Would you agree?

Yes. I can't say I recall many or any Roman nosed young bucks. But no idea how old. Beyond 4.5-5.5 I have a tough time guessing age with any accuracy, and can only tell very old bucks by their withered, grey faces and arthritic movement.

the roman nose thing is interesting to me. its definitely a factor of age but still a mystery why it physically occurs

I was just posting that I can't recall ever seeing a roman nose on a for sure known 4yr old, but then I look at some pics and quickly find a 3yr old with a pretty pronounced roman nose. So I'm gona have to change my thoughts on it being an age related trait. Second pic is a for sure known 5yr old and his noise isn't as bowed as the 3yr old. I guess I never paid a whole lot of attention to it before.

1726681340721.webp

1726681419047.webp

The more pics I look at, the less I'm convinced a roman nose has anything to do with age. Until now I'd always believed it was a trait only older bucks had but now that I'm specifically looking for it I don't see any correlation at all. Most of my older bucks don't have it but I've got pics of some younger bucks that do. Seems to be a genetic trait, not age related.

Latest posts

Back