• Help Support TNDeer:

Bunk or rollers?

Snowwolfe

Ordered a 19 foot Alumacraft boat today but not sure what type trailer to put it on. Bunks are nice but rollers can allow you to launch easier in shallow water.
What say you?

Take a look at these two alternatives.

1. Liquid Rollers. It's a spray can of silicon (I think) that you spray onto your carpeted bunks. It prevents sticking and makes the bunk slick. I got it at Academy Sports.

2. Glide Stix (brand name - generic product is glide sticks I guess). I was using Liquid Rollers and then discovered these things. They are plastic strips that you attach to your bunker. These things are as slick as snot on a door knob. There are a couple of different designs. I use the ones that are about three inches wide. Bass Pro carries them.

Caution: Both of these products make your bunks SLICK. Heed the warnings: Do NOT release your boat from the trailer until it is in the water. It definitely will slide off the trailer while you are on the ramp if it is not attached to the trailer.

My trailer has bunks and rollers. I guess cause it's an aluminum V hull with a keel. Bunks need replaced but still work fine. The main issue I have is trying to line the boat up perfect so the keep slides up onto the rollers in the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the glide stix. They work well. On a steep ramp the boat will slide off on its own. For most ramps and shallow water launches I back the boat to the water, unlock the winch and l let the truck roll back and jab the brakes. The boat slides right in to the water.

I ordered a 4 bunk trailer as I had one before. Since I never visited a boat ramp in our new state wasn't sure if rollers were required due to shallow launching.
Guess they aren't:) Prefer bunks anyhow. Thanks for the input

Back