• Help Support TNDeer:

Butt Stock Extender

HOOK

I and tired of getting smacked between the eyes with my Muzzleloader. My scope is as far forward as I can get it. I'm looking for an extender for a Thompson Center Impact 50 cal . Any suggestions?

I put a slip on recoil pad on most of my long guns. I learned to shoot with my dad's guns and he had ape arms so I have a fairly aggressive forward hold. For my TC Omega I picked up a slip on Limbsaver pad from Walmart. It's worked great.

I don't know how the factory butt pad is designed on the Impact, but if screws onto the stock like a traditional pad, I would use something like this: stock spacer

They come in different thickness, and even tapered to adjust the toe and heel pitch, if desired. You'll need longer screws to reattach the pad. To make it look "finished," you'll need to screw it on, mark the edges, then take it off and sand it to fit flush between the stock and pad. But that's not hard and the spacers aren't expensive. I've had them on my wing shooting shotgun for years. I just cut small pieces of cardboard and taped them to the butt pad until I had the thickness I wanted. Then I measured the cardboard stack and ordered spacers to match that thickness.

Last edited:
I shoot 350 gr. Maxi-Hunters in my CVA Staghorn .50 caliber. I started out with 90 gr. Triple 7. I don't think it was a really hot load but, in a 7 lb. rifle it would almost come out of your hands. I dropped down to 80 gr.

Not sure about an extender but what scope do you have. Sounds like it has really short eye relief maybe?
It's a TC Impact. It has a short stock. I'm not sure if a slip on will work because of the butt configuration.
I shoot 350 gr. Maxi-Hunters in my CVA Staghorn .50 caliber. I started out with 90 gr. Triple 7. I don't think it was a really hot load but, in a 7 lb. rifle it would almost come out of your hands. I dropped down to 80 gr.
I shoot 777 100 gr. I won't go less.
i shoot 777 100 gr. Won't go less.

Attachments

• IMG_1020.webp
    IMG_1020.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 1
Sounds like you need a slip on pad and a scope with longer eye clearance....or a new gun.
Are you talking to me or who? Years ago I had a T/C New Englander .50 caliber. I used 90 gr. Pyrodex RS. with 370 gr. Maxi - Balls and Maxi - Hunters. Pyrodex is not as powerful as Triple 7. It wasn't bad at all on recoil. But, the Triple 7 and 350 gr. are a whole new ball game. Lighter rifle too with the Staghorn too. I've shot 100 gr. granulated Triple 7 with 240 gr. XTP before and it's not bad.

Are you talking to me or who? Years ago I had a T/C New Englander .50 caliber. I used 90 gr. Pyrodex RS. with 370 gr. Maxi - Balls and Maxi - Hunters. Pyrodex is not as powerful as Triple 7. It wasn't bad at all on recoil. But, the Triple 7 and 350 gr. are a whole new ball game. Lighter rifle too with the Staghorn too. I've shot 100 gr. granulated Triple 7 with 240 gr. XTP before and it's not bad.
Whoever owns the gun looking to solve his eye relief issue!

It's a TC Impact. It has a short stock. I'm not sure if a slip on will work because of the butt configuration.

I shoot 777 100 gr. I won't go less.

i shoot 777 100 gr. Won't go less.
If the picture you attached is your gun, it looks like your scope is way too far back. Can you let us see a pic of the whole gun so we can see how the rings and mounts are? Just with that little piece, it looks odd to me.

If the picture you attached is your gun, it looks like your scope is way too far back. Can you let us see a pic of the whole gun so we can see how the rings and mounts are? Just with that little piece, it looks odd to me.
The scope is as far forward as it will go. Just picked up a slip on limbsaver at Wally World. Fits fine. Problem solved.

The scope is as far forward as it will go. Just picked up a slip on limbsaver at Wally World. Fits fine. Problem solved.
I was thinking something more along the lines of maybe the rings/mount could be backwards, sloped to the rear instead of sloped forward. But if the pad fixed the issue, all is good.

I have never experimented with this, but most of my scopes need to be a distance of "X" for me to have a good sight picture. How is changing the butt stock length going to change that value?
Yeah, now that mentioned that, I agree with you. If the butt stock is longer, it will cause the shooter to tilt their head lower to get a sight picture. Does not sound like a real solution.

Back