• Help Support TNDeer:

Buying a used bass boat...

TNReb

I think I've convinced my wife not to kill me in my sleep if I buy a bass boat. With that being said, I'm looking for a used one.

I'm not exactly a real mechanically inclined person, and I essentially know nothing about outboard motors. I've never owned one.

One boat that caught my attention was a 2004 with a Mercury XR6 150 (carburetor). The motor has pretty low hours, especially considering it's going on 14 years old. I feel like the owner has taken care of it, but I'm a little scared of pulling the trigger and finding out that the motor gives me problems in the near future.

Other than asking to take the boat to a service place and having them inspect and compression test it... what should I be looking for?

Would I be getting any more reliability out of an EFI model instead of a carburetor, if they were within a couple years of each other? For my budget, I'm probably looking for something in the mid 2000 year range.

I think my biggest fear is buying a boat, having it run great for a month, then suddenly have to sink $1000+ into motor work.

Agree with presfit, stay away from carbs if you can. I have owned both, and there is no comparison in maintenance or ease of starting. Especially in cold weather. The EFI wins hands down.

carbs are fine with me! Always, always, run non ethanol gas and always run stabil every tank every time and you will be fine.

As for the motor ask what work has been done and then look at motor to correspond. Bolt heads with paint missing is a clear sign a wrench has been on that part. Look at the heads for paint dis-color, burnt color= signs of over heating. stay away!

Check foot oil - easy check with flathead screwdriver to make sure water no water in foot oil. Pull bottom screw out and make sure not milky color

Impellar - how long since change - I like to change mine every 2 years. can be done diy

I've never owned EFI but I've owned a truckload of carburated outboards. I don't recall ever having issues but I run non ethanol gas 100% of the time. Always have. Good luck with your purchase. Nothing like owning your own.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

the biggest difference between the carbs and the EFI is the fuel mileage, but that's also the big difference between EFI and the direct injection motors. One of my old fishing partners swapped his 225EFI for a 250 pro XS on his bullet and it more than doubled his mileage. another point, is that with the EFI motors and newer can be plugged up to a "reader" and the true engine hours can be read. As always, check the transom strength by applying weight to the lower unit by stepping on the plane fin to see if the transom has any flex or give. check to make sure the decks and hatch lids are not weak. Worn carpet is a sign of heavy use as well.

I'd take it for a test drive. Make sure everything works as it should. Like jmed said check out the transom. My boat about sank last year when mine gave out.

Appreciate the info guys.

I'm going to look at it today. If I like it, we're going to meet at the lake another afternoon and take it for a test drive.

That is a solid motor. As long as its not abused, it should last forever. If it has not been done already, the oil injection system may need to be removed unless you want to spend the money to replace it. A failing oil injection system will kill your motor quick and it will be way more than $1000 to repair.

As for things to look for, do the transom test as well as walk around inside the boat, looking for soft spots. Pay close attention to the area around the drain on the floor. If the boat is heavily faded, it means they left it uncovered outside which is means they didn't take very good care of it. Pull the cowling off the motor and look for gas as well as rotted wiring. Pump the bulb with the cowling off and look for squirting gas. Its not super serious but you may need to replace fuel lines or fuel filter.

Not a boat owner but I've read and heard to always have the owner either let you test it in the water or have them drive you around in the water, as opposed to running the motor in a driveway with a garden hose hooked up to it...
My $0.02, which is worth $37.34

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about selling my Stratos if your interested. Shoot me a text. 615 three three 7 - 6 two one 5

Definitely water test! and don't be too easy on it.. run it wide open.. stop a few times and turn it off and restart and take off again. Listen for any out of ordinary noises or hesitation. Prior to arriving, tell the owner not to launch until your there so you can witness the cold start.. A lot of time people will get there early and already have it in the water and get it started. You never know how hard it was to get it running if that happens.

I own a 2006 stratos with a matching 150 yamaha Vmax carbed. It runs great. EFI are easier starting and slightly, slightly better gas mileage. However, EFI technology cannot be worked on at home and a shop must $$$. I can buy carb kits and redo my carbs for cheap. Do NOT be scared of a good carbed motor. I decarb once a year, its a must. Otherwise, EFI offers no extra protection on cylinders, lower unit, or anything else than can go wrong with a boat. Just goota take more care when put up for the winter.

Absolutely lake test a boat and run it. Then I make the deal pending the shop approval. Usually will cost you about $100 for them to go through it and test everything. well worth that money even if they find something wrong.

And BTW, yes, you are more than likely gonna drop a grand on something at some point. I was driving around priest last year and snapped my prop shaft.

Thanks the for input. I looked over the boat yesterday and liked it. The owner took it to Clark Marine for me and they're going to inspect everything, compression test the motor, etc. Fingers crossed!

rolltide22":3383h0bw said:
I'm thinking about selling my Stratos if your interested. Shoot me a text. 615 three three 7 - 6 two one 5

Not trying to hijack the thread but what year and model?

TNReb":14lbo92x said:
Thanks the for input. I looked over the boat yesterday and liked it. The owner took it to Clark Marine for me and they're going to inspect everything, compression test the motor, etc. Fingers crossed!

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Cache":208rfdjk said:
rolltide22":208rfdjk said:

Not trying to hijack the thread but what year and model?
Shoot me a text and i'll give all the info on it.

Clark Marine inspected mine as well and then replaced my prop shaft when I broke it. Good guys and have always been honest with me.

Latest posts

Back