• Help Support TNDeer:

Caney Fork on a Saturday...

catman529

Wow, it is a hopping tourist attraction on the weekends... Till it gets dark and everyone goes home but for a few fishermen who stay and fish by the dam.

d014a2aac46f1c502999812b87c4e270.jpg

Trout fishing sucked all afternoon. Floated to Happy Hollow from 1-7 pm. Saw tons of trout, a bunch of big ones too. All I caught were 3 bluegills and a banded sculpin.

73c13de4ab47397f84fb6018545a6dee.jpg

The guys I was floating with headed home after we took out, but I went and got a sammich and drove back to the dam. I fished till about 10:30 or so.

Caught four browns, a short walleye, and another shadow rap identical to the one I was using.

The heartbreaker was the fish I lost. First I had a good one nail it right next to the boat, but it got off.

Then I hooked a really good one, it was pulling drag hard, I couldn't stop it. Then the line broke and I lost a brand new jerkbait (at least it was Academy brand). I don't know what it was, but had to be a rockfish, a HUGE trout, or maybe even snagged a carp. Maybe a catfish... I'll never know...

So other than the depressed feeling of losing an unknown huge fish, I was happy with what I did catch.

a712c58ecd27d660728c9f721d245ebd.jpg

2867146cf3d77b3a7e6564622ccf9edc.jpg

6a5b62c5a054801632cf57081feb14c5.jpg

be5f199bc9481bba0e6be63303bb94a0.jpg

f77c7fcf02c9a63834c024a8842788ee.jpg

That was crazy...
ab52b1902dde6e05d8e5d7cb7eb28f0c.jpg

f665fef42c7be70dab477c13827db47d.jpg

And that's all for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a pretty good time to me.

Catching that lure is crazy. Never heard of anyone catching one exactly like they were throwing. :D

RUGER":1csb7woq said:
Looks like a pretty good time to me.

Catching that lure is crazy. Never heard of anyone catching one exactly like they were throwing. :D
Yea and being a $9 lure makes it even better. I do have a suspicion, although many people throw that lure around the dam, I did lose one just like it 2 weekends ago when a fish nailed it hard and broke the line. It could be it was my old lure that came from that fish, but I will never know for sure.

If you weren't catching trout during the day, you probably need to downsize line. 2lb mono with a 2lb flouro leader is almost a requirement. You can catch them during the day on 4lb but it will drastically cut down the bites you get.

Bigmonts":345ernsh said:
What kind of fish is that little dude you caught on the craw?

I think that is a banded sculpin.
I believe that is the same thing I caught on my first trip to East TN.
I didn't know what it was, I called it some kind of catfish looking thing and David J told me what it was.
I was scared to touch it. :D

Pinwheeled":wvael0dl said:
If you weren't catching trout during the day, you probably need to downsize line. 2lb mono with a 2lb flouro leader is almost a requirement. You can catch them during the day on 4lb but it will drastically cut down the bites you get.

i was using 2lb SOS line from Lelands Lures

i was using 2lb SOS line from Lelands Lures [/quote]

Were you using about an 18" fluorocarbon leader also? It makes a huge difference.

If you ever want to do an early morning float, just give me a holler. I'm down there about every weekend in the summer. I fish solo a lot so I typically put in and then paddle upstream but I'm always down for a float.

Pinwheeled":39ube7og said:
i was using 2lb SOS line from Lelands Lures

Were you using about an 18" fluorocarbon leader also? It makes a huge difference.

If you ever want to do an early morning float, just give me a holler. I'm down there about every weekend in the summer. I fish solo a lot so I typically put in and then paddle upstream but I'm always down for a float.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote] might be into that. Would like to go sometime and start before it gets light out and float till midmorning. The midday action was high for people floating and low for trout biting.

Latest posts

Back