• Help Support TNDeer:

Caney Fork trout regulations?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I am going to the Caney pretty soon.
My buddy that I am going with WILL want to keep his limits to eat.
Regardless of how you or I feel about trout being taken to eat I have a question.

Are the following correct and current in terms of creel and limit size?

Total daily creel of all trout (rainbow, brown and brook) in combination is 5 fish
Rainbow Trout: 5 per day, 14–20 inch protected length range, only one fish over 20 inches may be harvested
Brook Trout: 5 per day, 14–20 inch protected length range, only one fish over 20 inches may be harvested
Brown Trout: 1 per day, 24 inch minimum length limit

Thanks.

I just want to catch a pretty brook so I can have my own picture in my avatar. :)

Used to catch the brooks fairly regular. And there were some good ones. But I haven't caught a brook in about 2 years now. I thought maybe they quit stocking them.

Anybody know if they are still stocking the brooks?

I heard that oxygen levels killed them off. It's very rare to catch one now. Last Summer I caught one that was 15.5", my biggest ever. Recently a guy caught one that was 15" on the nose and very chunky. Other than that, I haven't heard of even a small one being caught. I bet there are few left but the ones that did survive are good sized. So, Ruger, if you do catch one it will be quite a bit larger than that avatar trout!

I've spent a good deal of time fishing there at night this Summer from my kayak. All the trout I catch are either too small to want to do the work of cleaning or they are within the PLR. Or in the case of the Brown Trout they aren't the dinosaur size minimum to keep and eat. I really wish they'd back off the regs a bit and quit treating trout like an endangered species. 14-20 inch PLR? That's the perfect grill size!!

Throw Rattlin' Rogue jerkabits as the sun starts to set, or rise depending on what time you go, and you'll hook into some larger trout. Trust me on this, I do it all Summer every Summer. Chrome with blue back is the most productive color. X-Raps are also great on higher water because they suspend, don't throw them on low water, you'll get snagged and lose it. I also like the Foxy Mamma color of the suspending Rattlin' Rogue during higher water.

I am sure we will keep a few to grill and eat one night while we are there but that is the extent of my desire to eat them.
woodyard ruined me on bankside trout. I guess spoiled is a better word. :D

That sucks about the brooks. :(

It was funny, the second trip my buddy and I made to the Caney he was having a cookout after we returned home for some of his family so he wanted as many trout as we could legally keep to carry home.
At one point he had to go back to the truck and he said make sure you keep everything you catch.

While he was gone I caught THREE beautiful brooks.
I don't know why but those fish just made me fall in love the very first one I ever caught. They are just so pretty.
Anyway, I managed to catch a rainbow while he was gone too.
He got back and pulled my stringer up out of the water to see what all I had.
ONE? Really? that's all you caught?
I said... yep. :D

bowfish12":2lmqt4nn said:
The state record brook was caught this spring in the Caney, so there are some still there.
I thought that fish was caught in some pond or something. I may be wrong idk.

Mudbone":36d81yh9 said:
bowfish12":36d81yh9 said:
The state record brook was caught this spring in the Caney, so there are some still there.
I thought that fish was caught in some pond or something. I may be wrong idk.

You are thinking about the rainbow.
He is talking about a brook.

Brook 4 lbs. 12 oz. Caney Fork River Saŝa Krezić April 1, 2016
Brown 28 lbs. 12 oz. Clinch River Greg Ensor August 30, 1988
Cutthroat 6 oz. Obey River (Dale Hollow Tailwater) Philip Neyman June 1, 1969
Rainbow 16 lbs. 15 oz. Ft. Patrick Henry Reservoir Ronnie Rowland September 6, 2002
Ohrid* 14 lbs. 5 oz. Watauga Reservoir Richard Lynn Carter March 28, 1986
Lake 22 lbs. 2 oz. Watauga Reservoir Jack Forbes July 3, 2008 - See more at: http://www.tn.gov/twra/article/tennesse ... qMYXc.dpuf

The new state record rainbow was caught in June in a pond in Polk County.

I don't know about Brookies in the Caney but the Clinch got a healthy dose of them one summer when the water temps(much like this year) are too high in the small streams. They were getting stocked for awhile but I don't know my water time this year has been cut severely short secondary to my total knee.

Hopefully you will nail a nice brookie. If not, drive by the house, pick me up and we will head to Maine! I know this one pond.........:)

LOL @ 7mm08 :D

Size of the fish is secondary to me.
My buddy dreams of a huge brown, to me I just want to catch a pretty brook.

Mainly I just want to be standing in that river and enjoy the view.
I like it when the fog rolls in and it APPEARS I am the only one there. :D
Pretty much my most favorite outdoor experience I have ever had.

RUGER":2sz72sjb said:
LOL @ 7mm08 :D

Size of the fish is secondary to me.
My buddy dreams of a huge brown, to me I just want to catch a pretty brook.

I'm right there with your buddy. Keep telling myself that when I finally catch a keeper Brown from the Caney, I'll have a mount done.

I'm also headed up to the Watauga River here in two weeks chasing big Browns. They grow them even bigger up there. Have a buddy that lives on Watauga Lake. Every time I see him he shows me pictures of the big browns him and his buddies have caught. I don't know if he's broken 30" yet but they have come dang close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back