• Help Support TNDeer:

Catching Bluegill this time of year??

Appalachian American

I primarily bank fish and do so primarily this time of year. We have kayaks but don't fish from them until spring. What tips/tricks do y'all have for finding bluegill in this weather? Has anybody been catching any? Thanks in advance. :)

-AA

From the bank I would say your best bet is to try several different length casts and keep your bait very near the bottom.
Cast in a semi-circle until you cover all the ground you can then move.
Repeat till you "find" them.

There will be "something" that will concentrate them, you just have to find that "something".

From my experience this time of the year you won't catch those huge spring type numbers but you can catch some real good quality fish.

a30f8aba40b530cea3fc2b990999dfbd.jpg

I used to load up on this small lake in the winter. I fished where the spring fed creek went into the narrow end of the lake. Trout magnets, crappie magnets and worms, all under a bobber.

Then they started developing subdivisions near the lake, and the construction workers and other people fished the heck out of the lake, and the population went to crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks catman, I went today and didn't have any luck. Snowing and terrible wind makes for a little more discomfort than I am used to while fishing. I will try your method next time. I've missed eating bluegill.

all depends on the type of impoundment youre fishing. are you fishing small private ponds or lakes, or bank fishing on something like the creeks on KY lake?

Latest posts

Back