• Help Support TNDeer:

catfish bait

I've not used em but from my understanding just regular old chicken breasts. I don't think old and nasty but I could be wrong. Heck, I'd use either one.

I've been on a couple guided trips through Scenic City Charters (Richard Simms' group out of Chattanooga) and they use fresh chicken breast.

A lot of the times, we would use a square piece hooked on an end or corner that would sort of "wave" in the current. I don't remember ever burying/covering the hook very much.

Just a heads-up...you are fishing with raw chicken, so it's worth remembering that you need to take extra precautions with bait handling. I know we've all baited a hook with a nightcrawler and then "washed our hands" in the water before taking a bite of a sandwich, but please don't go to the hospital with some nasty disease over some silly fish bait. I suggest pre-cutting bait chunks at home, putting them in a sturdy ziplock freezer bag, and using a glove to handle the bait. Bring a small bottle of hand sanitizer for insurance.

blue cats require fresh bait. i have used rsimms chicken breast idea and it works. on the plus side its cheaper and easier to find than my old standbys, turkey or rooster livers.

diamond hunter":2euf8jjb said:
I read on the channel here that chicken breast is good blue cat bait.OK,Do you use it fresh or sour or marinated or what?

I use it directly from the grocery store meat counter, as is. I've tried various marinades but have never found that it makes a hill of beans difference.

I caught about 20 nice cats at greers ferry using the fried chicken tenders from the gas station ! Ones the kids didn't finish. Wasn't there to fish so I didn't have my gear. But the boat I was on had a random zebco rod n reel. I was amazed and always wanted to try it again. Just put a quarter sized chunk and dropped it down about 10 feet. Was in a cove with maybe 15 foot of water. My dad always said they tend to hit things that are white. There's no telling how many I could've caught

Most catfish bait is best when fresh...just cut strips of it whether it be chicken, skipjack, break or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fish the Cumberland for blues a lot drifting and bumping bottom.
Hotdogs soaked in LOTS of garlic and cherry Kool-Aid has worked the best for me, I did the same with chicken breast and even used plain breast but the hotdogs caught more fish multiple times.
I want to try the rotten cheese again but I have had a bad experience with that stuff!! :fart: It WILL explode in heat and air tight container!! gag just thinkn about it

Latest posts

Back