• Help Support TNDeer:

Catoosa WMA popular areas

Travis G.

Looking to do some scouting at catoosa. My question is, where do most of 2000 hunters go? Even though it is such a big area it is hard for me to believe that every road and pull off will not be packed with people? It seems you will always be walking in on someone else. Are there more popular areas to hunt verses other? Just asking from everyone's past experiences. This will be my first time to this WMA. Thanks for you thoughts.

you stand a better chance of killing a Buck on the drive to the hunt than u do actually on the hunt on Catoosa. I think for the last 6 or 7 years they have averaged about one buck per every 3000 acres.

I think catossa is a great place to hunt. I do the 3 free archery hunts every year and have been for the past 5 years. Perfect place to see the leaves turn colors before it does in the valley. I have never left there not seeing a buck. Maybe not one with 4 points on one side but have always seen bucks and plenty of does. Turkey and Hogs are a bonus to see also. I stay on the Bi-color side. This place is huge and you will just have to pick a spot and see for your self. Look on Google maps for fields off the main road and a four wheeler is a good thing to have there also. Good luck.

I think catossa has went down hill instead of up,to many people not enough deer.every time I hunt there I say i'll not be back,but then someone talks me into going.I don't think the 4 on one side rule is working,still don't see as many bucks as did before they changed it

Catoosa is definitely a challenge but it is a good place to hunt. On the gun hunts one must find a terrain funnel that leads into a thicker-n-hell area and sit there all day.

I have always enjoyed hunting catoosa. We hunt the Genesis side. I have killed some does on the Bi-color side during the archery season. Missed a good buck a few years ago during muzzleloader. The buck walked right under my stand, I put the cross hairs on his back and fired. To my surpise the only sound I heard was small crack. Apparently I had only one pyrodex load in my TC. As you can imagine I was sick to my stomach for several weeks. My buddy killed a nice 10 point on the muzzloader hunt last year. I always see deer. Like I said above we have been hunting this place for quite a while so the work is finally paying off. To mee the the camping and campfires are part of the experience as well. We have a good time.

Travis G. said:
Ill be hunting the bicolor side. How's the camping. Do you have to get there early to get a spot. I'll be by myself so shouldn't take up much room.

I haven't set foot on the place since the antler restrictions were adopted.
get there early. some are set up weeks ahead of time.

I hunt there at least once a year. Although I have never killed one there, my dad has shot 2 and tracked both of them to their gut piles and followed drag trail back to the road. So now when we go, we walk so far back in the woods that we hardly ever see anyone.

I hunt there at least once a year. Although I have never killed one there, my dad has shot 2 and tracked both of them to their gut piles and followed drag trail back to the road. So now when we go, we walk so far back in the woods that we hardly ever see anyone.
So you're saying someone stole 2 bucks from your Dad at Catoosa?

That happened to my dad at Chuck Swan. Some people are just aholes...

Latest posts

Back